Chapter 1

Inside a small, cramped apartment, a 20-year-old man was sitting in front of his laptop, watching a video. This man's name is Travis. He is a recent college graduate who doesn't have any intention of finding himself a job. He simply wanted to sit around and do nothing, as that was much more comfortable compared to waking up every day to make money he'll only receive at the end of the month. Not that he hated anybody who did that, he just didn't like the thought of him doing it.

Right now, you're probably wondering how this man even eats. Well, the internet has many uses; those uses can even make you money. So that's what Travis does. He earns a stable income every single day that, if saved, would make him a millionaire within a year. But he also hates being too wealthy for some reason. He's never understood why.

Travis, who was frying his dopamine receptors with the stupid content from creators, suddenly received a call from his Android phone, something he is very proud to use. He paused the video and checked to see who was calling.

[Ryan]

'Why is he calling me? The last time we spoke was when he moved to New York,' he thought. Travis answered the call.

"Yo, Travis," he heard a loud, joyful shout as soon as he answered, which annoyed him since he had grown a bit sensitive to loud noise due to him being cooped up in the house all day.

"Yeah, what's up?" he replied nonchalantly.

"Man, you sound like you haven't been out for three months. I can already imagine the ramen packages that have piled up in your room over time." Travis flinched as he turned to the twin towers beside him.

'How did he know?' he thought.

"I mean, you're not wrong. Why did you call me?"

"Is there a problem with me calling my best friend since high school? Last I checked, there isn't. Well, I won't take up your time. I want you to come to my housewarming party. Oh, by the way, I'm back in town, so, sorry I didn't tell you any sooner. I'll send you the location. Bring some spare clothes; you'll be spending a night there."

"That's so much information to take in, but okay."

"Great! I'll text you the location. Don't forget to bring a present. It's on Tuesday, which is two days from now." He said, then dropped the call.

'That was so random. I never expected him to come back to town. Well, I did agree to go. I hope there aren't too many people.' he thought.

He got up from his bed and went to his sink, getting a chug of water. He turned back to his room and got irked by how dirty it was. He decided that he'd do some spring cleaning. Travis began taking down the twin towers, throwing them all in a plastic bag, then went downstairs to throw it out.

When he got out, he was met with the calm night breeze. Nighttime had to be his favorite time since it wasn't as loud as day. He threw the bag out and was about to walk back inside the house when he saw a ring on the ground. It looked rather expensive, so he hurriedly picked it up, then looked around to see if anyone had seen him. He didn't know why he felt guilty, even though he hadn't done anything yet. When he saw that the coast was clear, he opened his hand and gave a nice look at the ring.

'This looks really cool,' he thought. Travis raised it up to his face, nodded to himself, then put the ring on his ring finger on the right hand. As soon as it was in place, Travis felt a volt of electricity flow into his body. But it wasn't painful; instead, it was a bit soothing or even calming.

'That's weird. Well, let me finish cleaning.'

He returned to his room and continued cleaning until it was all clean. He smiled. His room looked just like the day he moved, when he had a lot of care for everything and everything had an order. He sat down at his study table and thought about going out and getting some food since he didn't feel like eating ramen tonight. So he did. Travis went down to the public bath and took a nice, long shower. Then he went back to his room and got dressed.

This would be the first time he got out in a whole month. He went out and stood in front of the empty street, devoid of any people. He went down the path to the local 7-Eleven, which was open late. He walked inside the shop, immediately greeted by the scent of weed. The employee who was in charge right now had the whole store lit up since he didn't care about this job and people rarely came in this late. Travis picked out his food. He went to the counter and swiped his card, then left. As soon as he got out, he felt the very same electrical spark in his body.

Then he began to hear a voice in his head.

*I bet I could beat that guy in a fight. If I didn't, I'd let him fuck me.* Travis looked around in panic. The voice sounded so clear that he thought he had heard it in his ear.

*What's he doing, looking around? Wait, does he want to rob this place? Does that make me racist since he's black? Well, I'd still let him hit since he's handsome and all.*

He again heard the voice. Travis looked back at the guy who worked inside 7-Eleven, since he was the only person here besides him.

*He's looking at me. Does he want my number?*

'Fuck no, I don't want your dumb ass number. Also, why the hell can I hear his thoughts?'

He was creeped the hell out, so he hurriedly walked away without looking back. Travis went back to his apartment and sat on his bed as he thought about what he had just witnessed.

'Can I hear people's thoughts? I'm sure it's because of this ring and all, but that's not possible, right?' he thought.

Travis tried to understand the situation, but logic and common sense made him have doubts.

'I'll go check again,' he thought. He left his apartment and returned to the 7-Eleven. As soon as he entered, he got closer, and he could already hear his thoughts.

*She's a baddie; she knows she's a 10,* he sang along.

Travis cringed when he heard his voice. He walked back, then suddenly the voice disappeared.

'There's a certain distance that I have to be in to hear his thoughts. Does this work on everyone, or is he the exception? I hope it isn't, honestly,' he thought.