Chapter 5

As the pair of them left the infirmary and stepped out into the daylight, Thedrick flinched and had to shield his sensitive eyes with a hand, blinking rapidly to try and overcome the sudden brightness. Once he could somewhat see again, through squinted eyes, he noticed that Beowulf had his helmet tilted to look down at him.

"What?" Thedrick asked in confusion, peering up at the large man from under the cover of his hand.

"Ah, nothing," Beowulf muttered, glancing away. "Well, I'm likely late for guard duty by now, so I better get going," he added hesitantly.

"Are you on duty for dinner tonight?" Thedrick asked, trying not to sound overly hopeful. Beowulf nodded in affirmation. "Then I will see you then!" Thedrick said cheerily.

"Oh, you are performing tonight?" Beowulf asked.

Thedrick nodded animatedly. "Oh! I have a great idea for a trick! If you'll indulge me," he said with a cheeky grin.

Beowulf cocked his head to one side. "What are you planning?" he asked with suspicion.

"Well, that would be telling!" Thedrick exclaimed, wagging a finger. "I just ask that when I give you a signal," he winked at Beowulf in an over exaggerated manner, "that you put out your hands like this," he held his hands in front of his legs, palms to the sky. "Trust me, it will be great!"

Beowulf looked to be considering it for a moment. "... fine fine, alright, I'll play your silly game little jester," he begrudgingly agreed, sounding slightly amused.

Thedrick pumped his fist in the air in victory. "You won't be disappointed! See you at dinner," and with that he started skipping away, whistling a merry tune to himself.

He continued like this on his way through the castle, smiling to himself about his plan. That was, until he was suddenly grabbed by the collar and yanked off his feet.

Before Thedrick knew what was happening he was being pinned against the wall, the angry soldier from earlier pressing an arm firmly against his neck.

Thedrick smiled nervously at the man's furious features, grabbing the arm he was pinned by with both hands and trying to pull it off his throat, to no avail. "Hey there, Emil, looking good today," he managed to gasp out with an accompanying wink, and a moment later his trachea was being crushed harder.

"Where's your bodyguard now, huh, joker?" Emil hissed out, scowl deepening. Despite his face being contorted with rage, it was still handsome, with a strong chin covered in stubble and pronounced cheekbones covered in freckles, framed by his curly chestnut hair.

Thedrick tried to speak, but all that came out of his throat was a wheeze. He let go of the arm and tried to mime to Emil that he couldn't breathe, let alone speak at the moment, trying to convey in a single raised eyebrow 'how am I supposed to answer your question like this?'.

The soldier made a noise of annoyance and eased up slightly on the jester's throat, moving the arm down a bit so it was pressing on his chest instead, still pinning him to the wall, his feet lifted up off the floor. Thedrick gasped in some air, relief flowing through him from the easing of pressure. "Thanks love," he choked out.

Emil growled, fury in his green eyes. "You think you're safe now, clown, just because you somehow managed to befriend the big guy?" the soldier snarled threateningly. "He won't always be there to protect you, like now, for example."

"You know, if you hurt me, he'll come after you," Thedrick coughed out, even though he didn't know if that was true, he hoped Emil believed it.

The soldier's expression changed slightly, indicating he was taking pause at that. "If you tell him about this, you'll only make it worse for the both of you," Emil growled, pulling away from Thedrick, allowing the jester to fall onto his feet.