Chapter 7

Beowulf's lips were soft against Thedrick's, and being gently held here in the big man's lap was all the jester could have wanted. The soldier's massive hands rested against Thedrick's back, holding him in place as they kissed, while Thedrick's fingers tangled into Beowulf's hair.

Eventually Thedrick managed to pull out of the kiss, lowering himself into a sitting position on Beowulf's lap and looking up at the soldier nervously. "Oh gods, I, I'm sorry, I may have gotten a little carried away there," he tried to excuse himself, feeling embarrassment coiling inside him.

Beowulf smiled down at him warmly, and then slowly removed his hands from Thedrick's back to move them around to cup the jester's face in them instead. Thedrick's eyes widened in surprise as the soldier leaned down and closed his eyes as he pressed his lips against Thedrick's again. Thedrick quickly melted into the kiss, his own eyes also closing again.

When eventually Beowulf pulled away again, he looked down at the jester affectionately. "How are you so small..." he mumbled as he used his thumb to push a stray lock of hair from Thedrick's face.

Thedrick felt his cheeks burning under the large hands. "B-Because I didn't eat my greens?" Thedrick joked apprehensively, trying not to squirm under the soldier's gaze.

"You are so adorable, funny little man," Beowulf murmured as he stroked Thedrick's bruised cheeks.

Thedrick felt like his heart was in his throat, he wanted to look away in embarrassment, but the soldier was holding his face firmly in place so that the jester was looking up at him. Thedrick bet he was probably looking as red as a beetroot right now. He opened his mouth to try and speak, but the words died in his throat.

Beowulf chuckled at the flustered jester, which made Thedrick pull his mouth into a wobbly grin. Then he sighed, and half closed his eyes, pressing his cheek up against the large hand stroking it. A look of satisfaction crossed Beowulf's face. A low grumbling sound started emanating deep within Thedrick's throat.

Beowulf's expression changed to surprise. "Are you... are you purring?" the soldier asked in disbelief.

Thedrick's eyes opened wide and he froze, his whole body stiffening and the sound dying in his throat. "N-No?" he said quickly in a croaky voice. "What do you mean?"

"I heard a rumbling sound coming from here," Beowulf said, removing one hand from the jester's face to press a finger against Thedrick's chest.

"No no, most certainly not, that's ridiculous, I don't know what you are talking about," Thedrick claimed anxiously, trying to pull his face out of Beowulf's grip now. Beowulf let him go, and Thedrick leaned away slightly from the soldier.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you about it," Beowulf apologised solemnly, resting his hands in his lap in front of Thedrick.

"Ha ha, but there's nothing to be embarrassed about because I certainly wasn't doing... whatever it was you think I was doing..." Thedrick dismissed nervously as he looked away awkwardly. "A-Anyway, I, uh, I really have to be going now," he said as he started climbing down off Beowulf's lap.

"Oh?" Beowulf said with palpable disappointment.

"Yeah, uh, it's not because of you though! I'm... not feeling so great after all those drinks," Thedrick explained as he straightened up, still not even reaching equal height with the seated Beowulf. "This was great, and the... and the kiss was great. I hope we can do it again sometime. Th-The drinking, I mean... though the kissing would be nice too..." he broke off awkwardly as the burning in his cheeks was renewed.

Beowulf looked like he was trying not to laugh. "I enjoyed it as well," he said with a smile.

"Wh-Which part?" Thedrick asked with beseeching eyes as he worried his hands in front of himself. "The drinking or the... the kissing...?"