03.

~V~

09.24.23

As soon as we got back to the floor where the boxes were, Ms. Hart pulled Violet and me both into a tight hug. "You were amazing," she said. "I'm so immensely proud of you both. If I forget to say it later, just know that you both did so well. I'm so, so, so happy with how today went, and I'm so proud of both of you. You absolutely exceeded what it means to be a drum major today."

Violet and I were both quiet, digesting Ms. Hart's words with smiles on our faces. When Ms. Hart let us go, Violet and I turned to each other, our faces beaming with pride. "C'mere, Raine," she said, beckoning me over and wrapping me in another hug. "I'm so proud of you."

"I'm proud of you too," I said, smiling. "My favorite junior by far."

Violet giggled. "Don't tell any of the others," she said, pressing her finger to my lips. "You wouldn't want them to be offended that they're not the drum major's pick."

I shrugged. "Doesn't matter. They're not the drum major that conducted in front of a million people."

"Oh, so now you're saying that you're your own favorite?" Violet teased. "Come on, Vallie Raine. Be a little modest."

I grinned. "Sorry, I can't hear you. I just center conducted in front of all of Arrowhead Stadium."

"Vallie!" I heard my name come from the opposite direction that Violet and I were facing, and I turned around to see none other than Taylor Swift walking over to me, her strides filled with purpose. "Oh my god, honey, that was incredible!"

"Thank you so much," I laughed, letting her hug me and leaning into her hold. Damn, why does she give the best hugs I've ever gotten? "Did you like the show?"

"It was amazing!" Taylor smiled, turning to Violet and giving her a hug as well. "Oh my goodness, both of you are amazing. What you just did, at your age... wow. And your show, oh my god. You were all wonderful. I'm actually obsessed with you."

"Thank you so much," Violet and I chorused together.

"Alright," Taylor patted our shoulders. "I'm gonna head back to see the end of the game, but I just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done. You should feel very proud of yourselves."

"Thank you!" we called as she walked away, back into her box.

"Holy shit," Violet said after a beat. "Look, I'm not a Swiftie or anything, but the fact that I just got a hug from Taylor Swift after I conducted her music... wow. That's... wow. Yeah."

"Exactly how I feel," I said. "She's... yeah. Oh my god."

"We gotta tell Hart," Violet said, pulling on my hand as we walked into the box where the rest of the band was sitting. "Ms. Hart!"

"What?" Our band director asked, looking up from where she was trying to help one of the eighth graders get their shako off of their head.

"Taylor Swift said she loved our show!" I exclaimed, unable to hold in my energy any longer. "She came up to Violet and me and gave us hugs and said that the show was amazing."

"What?!" Ms. Hart cried, her facial expression turning to one that made her look slightly starstruck as well. "Wow. That's incredible news, guys."