4|treasure of her district

PEARL WAS WAITING IN LINE FOR HER INTERVIEW

PEARL WAS WAITING IN LINE FOR HER INTERVIEW. Tigris had given her another look that consisted of the color white. Her name had given her a legacy of sorts at the Capitol.

She knew what everyone expected of her at the interview. Both Mags and Tigris wanted her to put on a show for the Capitol, but Pearl planned on speaking her mind a bit. She wanted Snow to hear what she had to say before she would possibly get killed.

While waiting, Pearl pushed her way through the line to find Opal, who was in the very back because she's from District 12.

Pearl wordlessly grabbed her wrist and took her off to the side. Opal looked up in protest as Pearl began to whisper in her ear, careful not to let anyone else hear.

"I'm going to fake an alliance with the Careers, and then I'm going to stab them in the back. Then I'll reunite with you."

Opal looked concerned and didn't seem to fully approve of Pearl's plan. "What if they stab you in the back first?!"

Pearl reassured Opal as best as she could. "I won't let them."

She returned to her spot in line, and was alarmed when she realized that it was almost her turn.

"From District 4, Pearl Bazin!"

The crowd erupted into cheers as Pearl took slow steps onto the stage. Everything was blurry and spinning. She couldn't handle being in front of all these people, especially when they were cheering for her to be sent to her death.

Pops of color were visible in the crowd. The area was filled to the brim with so many people. Everywhere Pearl looked, there was someone staring at her like she was a chess piece in a game.

Lucky Flickerman reached for her hand and Pearl flinched uncomfortably. Why must she touch him for an interview?

He helped her sit down, and Pearl was more focused on the crowd than him.

"Don't be nervous," Lucky spoke into his mic with a laugh.

Small chuckles were heard throughout the crowd and Pearl clenched her fists together. Did they expect her to be excited to be here?

"Trust me, I'm not."

Lucky clapped his hands together. "I love the confidence-"

Pearl looked out into the crowd with daggers in her eyes. "I'm not going to be super optimistic about being sent to fight for my life in an arena. Thanks for that, President Snow! I hope you rot in hell! And-"

Lucky cut her off with fear and shock in his eyes. The crowd gasped in offense for their president.

"That's quite enough. Why don't we talk about something else?"

Pearl nodded with a blank face.

"Your look at the tribute parade was really something! Your stylist is Tigris, correct?"