24|two ends of the contract

MAGS FLANAGAN WAS ESCORTED THROUGH THE CAPITOL HALLWAYS BY TWO GUARDS

MAGS FLANAGAN WAS ESCORTED THROUGH THE CAPITOL HALLWAYS BY TWO GUARDS. Everything was so high security and elegant.

They stopped in front of the entrance to a quarters that has double doors. The guard pushed them open, and she felt so full when she saw Pearl standing there.

Pearl was unscathed. She actually looked better than she ever had. She looked clean and fancy. Mags's smile dropped when she saw Pearl's hand in Coriolanus's.

She hadn't seen the president up close many times, but he still looked as intimidating as usual. He stood tall, and it made Pearl look so tiny and unimportant.

Mags chose to ignore their closeness. Coriolanus had granted her the opportunity to visit Pearl, and she wasn't going to take it for granted.

"Pearl," Mags said sweetly as she approached the girl. She hugged her tribute.

Pearl whispered something into Coriolanus's ear as he quickly responded.

"Hi Mags."

Soemthing seemed off about Pearl. She spoke so monochromatically, like she was drained of personality. Mags didn't think Pearl would ever be hand in hand with her sworn enemy.

"What's wrong with her?" Mags asked.

Pearl's face scrunched up. "There's nothing wrong with me. Who do you think you are?"

"Your mentor? Honey, please tell me you remember who I really am, not just my name."

Pearl looked down in guilt. "I-I don't."

"Would you mind if me and President Snow have a moment, Pearl?"

Pearl nodded, but Coriolanus got tense. "She doesn't need to leave my side."

Pearl walked to the further side of the room anyways. Coriolanus looked impatient, and Mags reminded herself that this man could hurt her. He loves Pearl, and he clearly even did something to her.

"What do you want?" Coriolanus demanded.

"What do you plan to do with her? Isn't she supposed to return to District 4 as a mentor?"

Coriolanus didn't even have a thought brewing inside his head. He seemed to have everything planned out since the beginning. "Pearl will not be returning to your district."

"How's that fair? I had to become a mentor," Mags whispered. She had to go through the endless trauma of loosing tributes in the games. Pearl was her first victory.