13

The news of Aelora's engagement to Lord Cregan Stark reverberated through the intricacies of the Red Keep, setting the court into a tumultuous state of surprise and disbelief. The once-hushed whispers turned into a cacophony of concerns as the courtiers questioned the rationale behind such an unexpected alliance. The air in the Red Keep became thick with uncertainty, and the nobles, attendants, and servants alike exchanged speculative glances, wondering about the future of the young Targaryen lady.

Queen Alicent, initially unaware of the impending engagement, was taken aback when she learned of the king's decision. Her plans and aspirations for Aelora to be united with Aemond, her son, now seemed shattered. In her attempt to influence the king, Alicent highlighted the perceived drawbacks of allying with the North, citing their reputation for unruliness and barbarity. The queen's efforts, however, met resistance, as the king remained steadfast in his decision.

As the court braced itself for the consequences of this unforeseen engagement, tension enveloped the Red Keep. The uncertainty surrounding Aelora's future and the implications of this unexpected match cast a shadow over the once vibrant and lively court, leaving the denizens of the Red Keep on edge. The intricacies of court politics were now interwoven with the unpredictable twists of fate, as the departure of the young lady to the North loomed, promising to reshape the dynamics of the royal court.

-------------------------------

The courtyard of the Red Keep was chilled by the brisk northern wind, signaling Aelora's imminent departure for the North. She stood surrounded by her family, her heart heavy with mixed emotions.

Helaena, her younger cousin, clutched Aelora tightly, her sobs muffled against her shoulder. "You promise to write, don't you dare forget, Aelora," Helaena managed to say through her tears.

Aelora gently wiped Helaena's tears away. "I'll write every chance I get. I'll describe the North's snow and forests in such detail, you'll feel like you're right there with me and i'll tell you of all the new insects i see to add to your collection."

Aegon, leaning against a pillar nearby, looked aloof but couldn't hide the concern in his eyes. "Off to the frozen wasteland, are you?" he remarked dryly.

"Aye, off to marry Lord Stark," Aelora replied with a hint of amusement. "Don't worry, Aegon, I'll send you a raven occasionally. Keep you updated on the frigid affairs up there."

Aemond, standing at a distance, wore a scowl that matched the storm clouds gathering overhead. His frustration was palpable. "You're leaving, Aelora? It's not fair Mother promised we'd be wed we're Targaryen our blood must remain pure not to be mixed with those animals" he said with a mix of anger and sorrow.

"Aemond, circumstances change," Aelora started, trying to placate him she was not happy with her predicament but he shouldn't act like this it was not befitting of a prince. "My path lies in the North now. But who knows what the future holds maybe i'll give a son and he'll let me come home?"

He closed the distance between them in a swift stride, gripping her shoulders tightly. "I Promise, Aelora, that one day, I'll ride north on Vhagar and rescue you from those frozen lands and those barbaric people."

Aelora met his gaze, seeing the earnestness in his eyes and she honestly felt scared for a second she had never seen him like this and she did not want to see more so she tried to end the goodbyes swiftly. "I promise, Aemond. Should that day come, I'll await your valiant arrival."

In the midst of this emotional tapestry, Queen Alicent's demeanor stood out, displaying a nuanced blend of concern, regret, and perhaps a hint of frustration. Aelora, though perceptive, found it challenging to decipher the queen's true feelings.