Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Hunter-

She was here, and I was so mesmerized with staring at her it took me a second to realize who the guy was standing next to her. I did a double take as I took in Clay's new look, amazed with the transformation. I couldn't believe this was the same nerdy kid I saw every day.

I glanced around the lobby of the theater, noticing he was getting much of the same reaction from the school kids who knew him. Some were pointing and laughing, though there were a few girls who looked at him appreciatively.

Returning my gaze to the two of them, I also noticed there seemed to be some sort of friction. Clay was looking at Cami as if she was the axis his world was spinning on. Cami was biting her plump bottom lip and doing her best not to pay any attention to him, studying everything around her instead.

I chuckled slightly and leaned back against the wall. Well, this was interesting. It seemed as if the guy was carrying a serious torch for his gorgeous BFF, and she was not willing to reciprocate. For some reason, I found a great deal of pleasure in this.

She looked amazing in her green dress, her soft, red hair falling in waves down to brush her bare-skinned shoulders. She was showing a fair amount of leg—something I hadn't really seen her do before—and I didn't mind one bit. She reminded me of some sort of green apple just ripe for the picking.

I grunted internally, realizing I was comparing her to fruit again. What was up with that? You know exactly what's up with that, my mind countered, but I couldn't force myself to look away. I knew she wasn't for me, though somehow, it didn't seem to matter much at the moment.

"Enjoying the eye candy again, I see," Russ said, joining me after getting his snack.

"Who? Clayton Bradley? I don't think so."

Russ snorted. "Yeah, we're both aware that's not who you were looking at. Dude, if you like her that much just go get her. You know you want her."

I shook my head and turned in the direction of the theaters. "Can't."

"Why not?" Russ pressured, trying to understand. "You got a girlfriend back home? Or are you saying you play for the other team?"

I snorted. "I just can't, okay? No girlfriend for me, period."

"So you're going to lust after her from afar?" He elbowed me as he took a bite of his giant popcorn.

"Something like that."

We found ourselves a seat at the back of the theater. I liked sitting here so I could watch what everyone around me was doing while I was waiting for the movie to start.

"This is just a crying shame," Russ said.

"What is?"

"Sitting on the back row and not having any honeys to make out with in the dark. I need a date soon."

"Good luck with that," I replied. "Maybe you should try actually talking to a girl. That might help."

"Oh, look who's Mr. Advice all of a sudden—he who stares and drools from afar."

"At least I have an actual babe to drool over instead of just wishful thinking."

"Ah ha! You just admitted it. You do like her!" His face was lit up like he'd just discovered electricity or something.

And dang it, he was right. "Eat your popcorn like a good boy and leave me alone." I grinned.

He laughed. "There's not a good bone in this body."