Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Trey sat at the table in the old cabin with Adam and Jed. He needed to know what they thought of Wes.

“You what?” Adam gaped at him.

“I told him that if I ever saw him again I’d kill him,” Trey said.

“Why? Boss, are you stupid?” Adam exclaimed.

“Come again?” Trey cocked an eyebrow at Adam. The man knew better than to talk like that to him.

“Wes was just trying to protect himself,” Adam said.

“He would have ruined Miss William’s life, Adam,” Trey said.

“I think you had good reason to get rid of him” Jed put in.

“What’s wrong with both of you?” Adam stood. “We can’t to the jobs we used to without Wes.”

“That’s a price I’m willing to pay” Trey said.

Adam shook his head.

Trey knew that Adam didn’t like the situation, but hoped that he would come to accept it.

*****

Weeks passed and the Christmas season came with them. Trey didn’t know what to do with Millie. She was out of control with decorations. Garland lined the staircase rails, a big Christmas tree stood in the parlor, lined with popcorn on strings and a few ornaments here and there. A tin star sat on top of the tree, glistening when the firelight hit it just right. Millie was always humming one Christmas song or another. Quinn didn’t know what to think of the tree. He would sit at it and stare it, touching its branches when he gathered up the courage.

Trey was sitting with him in the parlor, keeping him warm by the fire. He was trying to coax him into saying something.

“Can you say daddy?” Trey asked, putting emphasis on the last word.

Quinn gurgled.

Trey kept repeating words until finally Quinn focused.

“Da” he said.

“That’s right. Da-Daddy” Trey knew he must have looked silly, but his kid was about to speak!

“Da…Dada” Quinn said.

“Aha! I knew you had it in you! Say it again. Dada” Trey coaxed.

“Dada” Quinn said.

Trey stood. “Hey, Millie!” He called.

Millie came downstairs and stopped just as Quinn said “Dada” again.

“I can’t believe it! Did he…?” pointed at Quinn.

“He sure did” Trey smiled.

Millie pinched Quinn’s cheek. “You’re such a big boy!”

Quinn giggled.

*****

Millie put Quinn to bed for the night, and went back downstairs with a book. She felt the need to read something tonight. As she walked into the parlor and sat on the sofa, she heard “Auld Lang Syne” being played on the piano in the formal parlor. She stilled.

Wondering who was playing, she stood and crept to the door of the formal parlor. It was barely cracked open, and she couldn’t see the piano. Leaning against the wall, Millie stayed there until the beautiful song was over and the last note had faded away. Slowly, she opened the door and was a little surprised to see Trey behind the piano. She had thought his wife had played.