Chapter 17

Unedited, read at your own risk:)

Chapter 17

Trey stared at the small form covered in a brown coat tied to a tree. Rain pounded down all around him and the thunder shook the ground he stood on. What could posses them to leave Millie out in this storm? He watched the tent to Millie’s left and saw no movement. Shifting the rifle on his hip, he ran toward the tree that Millie was tied against and slid to a stop beside her.

“Millie!’ he had to yell to be heard above the rain.

She twisted around and her eyes widened. “What in tarnation are you doing here?”

“Baking a cake” Trey grinned sarcastically as he knelt to cut her ropes.

“How did you get past that lynch mob?” Millie asked, rubbing her wrists.

“Back door” Trey winked. “Come on, we have to get out of here.”

They hadn’t ran ten feet when a shot rang through the air. Instinctively, Trey threw Millie behind a tree and threw a shot behind him before dashing behind another tree next to her.

He peeked around his tree and saw Adam and Wes both walking in their direction.

“Shannon! You can’t hide from us!” Wes said as another shot splintered the wood close to Trey’s head.

Trey squeezed his eyes shut and muttered a prayer. Pulling out his Colt, he fired in Wes’ general direction.

The rain slacked off some as Trey glanced over at Millie, who clutched the tree she hid behind like a lifeline.

Another shot hit the tree near him. Trey gritted his teeth and took time to aim and pull of a shot.

It cost him. He felt a bullet whiz past him and graze his hand. He winced and grunted.

“Trey! Trey, are you hurt!” Millie squealed.

He waved her off and ignored the pain in his left hand. Time to try the right-handed thing. Suddenly, a shot sounded and he didn’t feel the bullet hit the tree. Surely Wes or Adam hadn’t missed.

“Jed! What’re you doing, you idiot!” Wes’ voice hollered.

Trey peeked out and saw Wes knelt over Adam, who lay sprawled out on his face. Jed stood behind him, his gun raised. Trey seized the opportunity and tackled Wes onto his stomach. “How much did you pay that bank teller to lie in court, huh?”

“What’s wrong with you?” Wes yelled into the mud.

Trey put his knee in the middle of Wes’ back and took his gun. “Me? You kidnapped my wife! What’s wrong with you?”

Wes stilled. “Wife? You married ‘er?”

“That’s what I said, isn’t it. Now I want you to tell me any reason at all why I shouldn’t kill you right here” Trey said, pressing down harder of Wes’ back. “You were gonna let me hang for something you did, Wes.”

“I’m sorry. It was Adam…” Wes grunted out.

“Uh, huh. You always blamed thing on Adam. Well, Adam’s dead and so is your alibi. Come on, any more excuses?” Trey asked.

“Y-You’ll be charged with my murder” Wes said.

“Nope. You’re an outlaw. Besides, I’m already hanging tomorrow for murder” Trey said nonchalantly.

“Come one, Trey” Wes pleaded.

“Let’s take him in, Trey. Maybe Avery will listen to you now” Millie said from behind him.