Part 20

"Is tonight the night, little survivor?" Taylor's voice is soft as she holds up my blue dress. I shrug, a sense of uncertainty creeping in. "Are James and Inez going to be dressed up?" I ask, not wanting to feel like an outsider.

Taylor just smiles, shrugging before grabbing her phone. "Blake texted me a picture of the girls in the tent. Here, you can see what they're wearing," she explained, showing me the screen. James and Inez are grinning in the tent, both dressed in outfits reminiscent of the previous night, which were shorts and a T-shirt for James and a short jumpsuit for Inez. "Not tonight," I mumble, shaking my head at the dress. I want to blend in with James and Inez, not draw attention to our differences.

The memories of school days flood back—the relentless teasing because I never looked like the other kids. Their crisp uniforms sharply contrasted with my always slightly dirty and ill-fitting clothes, adorned with holes and tears because while other kids got new uniforms every year, I got old hand-me-downs that Cory got from who knows where.

I don't want James and Inez to treat me differently just because my attire doesn't match theirs. They seemed nice last night, and I want to maintain that impression. Wearing the dress might set me apart, and I fear it might lead to the same kind of ridicule I faced at school.

I don't want them to think that I think I'm better than them in my fancy dress. That would make me like the kids at school, and I don't want to be anything like them. They were mean. I hate mean people. Why do others have to make people sad just for fun? It isn't right.

So I would rather keep my dress for another day, even though I really want to wear it, tonight doesn't feel like the right time. I think I'll be better off staying in Taylor's T-shirt and some shorts. I'll be more like James and Inez that way. So that means they won't think that I think I'm better than them, and it means they shouldn't have a reason to pick on me. Unless they're like Cory, he didn't need a reason to pick on me. But I don't think James and Inez are like Cory. They seemed nice last night, and I don't think Taylor would let anyone mean around me.

"That's alright. Do you want to stick with what you got on now, then?" Taylor's question brings me back to the present. She's changing into her Lover bodysuit, opting for the purple one with tassels tonight. She promises to wear the green dress later for the Folklaw section, which is my favourite. When Taylor twirls around in the green dress, it makes the prettiest movements.

I nod, playing with my pebbles while she slips on her boots. Despite the keyboard set up on the floor, I prefer the quiet moments with my pebbles backstage. Concert days are really noisy, from all the talking and shouting backstage while everyone is setting up to the crowd that seems to scream all night long to Taylor's performance. It's a day of non-stop noise. So it's nice to play my pebbles back here while Taylor gets ready. I can still hear the music in my head, but my ears get a break.

"How would you like your hair tonight, buddy? Maybe braids tonight? It's pretty warm, and I think getting it out of your face and off your neck might help you stay cool," Taylor suggests, making me think. "Two braids, please. The ones that start at the top, though, not Anna ones, please," I ask, watching closely to check that my answer was right. Judging by Taylor's smile, I think she was all right with my choice. "Great choice. We haven't done that one yet," she grins, making me relax.

Taylor has been showing me lots of hairstyles on her phone and telling me what each is so that we can try them out on days I want something different, and since I'm not wearing my pretty dress tonight, I figured having pretty hair would be a good compromise.

I love it when Taylor does my hair. She is so soft and gentle and takes her time. She makes sure to be extra careful when I have tangles in my hair and never pulls too hard, which means it doesn't hurt. No matter how much we are in a rush, Taylor never moves quickly, always taking her time with my hair. She says that everything else can wait until we are good and ready to do it. Plus, after Taylor finishes my hair, I always get cuddles, no matter what. And cuddles with Taylor are the best part of the day.