Split

"Are you alright?" Marina asked, leaning over Harper, who was lying on the ground.

Harper, being the chipper gal that she is, looked Marina dead in the eye.

"Nah."

"Well." Marina stood up straight, looking at the ACU that escorted the soldier into the bunker. "That thing helped you?"

Harper nodded slightly, sighing. "Yeah."

Marina's curiosity sparked. "So, spill. What happened?"

"I caught a bullet. Allen dumped me back here." Harper winced, propping herself up, clutching her stomach.

"You were what?" Marina's voice peaked. "Shot? Where? How?"

"Under the plate, down that alley with the pipe." Harper peeled off her chest rig and shirt, revealing the wound. "Right here."

Marina kneeled down, using her hand to move her own tentacles out of the way.

Just above the waist, a white pad wrapped in gauze, with red in the middle.

"Ouch... that looks nasty. You holding up?" Marina asked, looking up from the injury.

"I've seen worse. Felt worse too." Harper shrugged it off.

"Uhm, sorry, I guess." Marina chuckled. "You need help?"

She extended her hand, and Harper accepted with a grunt of pain.

"Thanks." Harper struggled to stand.

After a moment of quiet, Harper eyed Marina, impulsively remarking, "You know, for a weird aquatic humanoid, I'm starting to like you guys."

Marina, unsure how to interpret that, managed a hesitant smile. "Uh, thanks?"

"Believe me, I find Inklings to be... weird, for lack of a better term. Even though I'm sort of the alien here." Harper took a deep breath. "Phew, gonna need help down to the medbay. Up for it?"

Harper glanced at the ACU, which promptly stepped forward to assist. Slowly, they navigated deeper into the bunker, Marina following closely.

"Mind if I tag along?" Marina asked.

Harper glanced back, then forward. "Sure, but stay out. It's a sterile environment."

"What's a medbay, anyway? Not familiar with the term." Marina thought out loud as they walked.

"It's..." Harper sighed. "Just hush. I'm kinda dying here."

Marina rolled her eyes. "Well, excuse me then."

"Alert. New orders received. Moving now." The ACU aiding Harper froze mid-motion, gently let go of her, turned around, and walked back out of the bunker.

...

"Cv-7?" Harper muttered.

"The ACU assisting you is required elsewhere. Apologies."

Harper didn't exactly expect an answer, so she jumped a bit when Cv-7's voice came through from one of the speakers in the hallway.

"Alright, what for?" She asked in a louder voice.

"Cv-6 has decided to further support Allen, and no further ACUs can be reallocated."

"Further support? Is he in danger?" Harper looked at Marina for a moment, before looking away.

Cv-6 decided to answer instead.

"ALLEN FLETCHER IS CURRENTLY IN A WAR ZONE COMPLETELY ALONE. ALL AVAILABLE SUPPORT VIA OUTSIDE SOURCES IS MORE THAN NECESSARY, TO GUARANTEE A LEVEL OF PHYSICAL SAFETY."