Silence

Mel hesitated for a moment before rapping on the door, her knuckles echoing through the dimly lit hallway. The air was thick with anticipation as she pushed the door open, revealing a room shrouded in darkness - a storage room, if the musty scent and the faint outlines of forgotten crates were any indication.

"Allen...?" Her voice wavered slightly as she stepped inside, searching for any sign of life in the shadows.

She had to find this room with the help of Cv-7; even if she wasn't too proud to admit it.

But, no response.

"Hey." She raised her voice a bit, wondering if he was asleep or... worse.

A shuffling sound reached her ears, followed by a low groan. It was either him, or some eldritch monster. She hoped for the first one.

"Fuck." Allen's muttered exclamation broke the tension, and Mel couldn't help but chuckle in response, relief washing over her like a gentle wave.

"Just checking up on you." Her voice held a hint of warmth.

"Just..." He yawned, stretching his arms. "Wait, since I have you, check on that Target. Cv-7, fill her in. And Mel? Get out."

"Okaaaay...?" She said, confused by his abrupt request. She left the room, closing the door behind her with a soft click.

"Order confirmed. Queuing ACU to your position, please standby."

As Mel processed the information, her curiosity sparked. "Who's this Target?" She asked.

"The assailant that injured Harper. No other info is known at this time, and requires an Arctos operative to parse in the future."

"Ah, so, Allen wants me to make sure she's still there." She nodded, then lowered her voice to a soft whisper. "Please don't make me interrogate. Fuckin', please. That shit sucks."

As she sighed, an ACU turned a corner down the hall.

...

...

Mel stood with hands on her hips, her gaze piercing through the ACU standing guard. Beyond it, a small room revealed itself - a table, two chairs, and an Octoling seated, gazing at the ceiling in sheer boredom.

The Octoling noticed her and looked down at her. Their eyes met, and for a second, something clicked.

Mel didn't like her. The Octoling didn't like her either. They both gave a somewhat distressed sigh, more so the Octoling.

"Move." Mel asked the ACU in front of her nicely. Sort of.

With reluctant compliance, the ACU shuffled aside, letting her through. It'll keep a close eye on the two of them.

Stepping forward, Mel halted just shy of the table, her eyes locked onto the Octoling, who returned her stare with equal intensity.

"Who the hell are you?" Mel's words dripped with... contempt, to put it simply.

Not to mention, the words tumbled out before she even realized, her tongue dancing effortlessly in a language that felt as natural as breathing.

The Octoling, undeterred by Mel's hostility, met her gaze head-on. "None of your inking business." They shot back

"Don't give me that shit." Mel folded her arms across her chest. "Answer my questions, or brace yourself for someone far less patient than I am."

"Is that a threat? Please." The Octoling scoffed, rolling her eyes in a display of mock amusement. "I don't think–"

"Oh, shut the hell up." Mel snapped, her temper flaring already. "Who do you work for?"