Chapter 24 - Present

Strands of hair tickled my neck, and I turned over in bed to see Jessie asleep next to me. Jessie was here. It still hadn't hit me yet, that my best friend was in my apartment. I'd almost convinced myself I was hallucinating.

Jessie stirred, her eyes blinking open. "Mornin'." She yawned.

I poked her in the cheek. "You're really here, right?"

She swatted my hand away. "Yes, you're not hallucinating." There she went, reading my mind. "So what do we have planned for today, tour guide?"

"You've been to LA before," I reminded her.

"Yeah, but I haven't been to LA with twenty-year-old, July Emma Branson yet." Jessie sat up, stretching her arms. The sun was streaming through the blinds; it was already 9:30, later than Jessie usually woke up; she was the most morning person I had ever known.

"Hmm, you make a great point, Ms. Masterson." I stood up, pulling off my pajamas and putting on shorts and an old Boston t-shirt. "Are you okay being here while I go to work tonight?"

"Em, Mason is my brother, you know that right?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm aware."

"Yes, I'll be fine." She paused for a second, her arms lifted as she put her brown hair into a high ponytail. "Is there anything going on in Mason's life right now?"

My brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Like, in general, is there anything I should talk to him about? You know he doesn't tell me much," Jessie explained.

"Does he tell Caleb anything?" Last I checked, Caleb and Mason had been telling each other everything. I didn't like the idea of him keeping things inside.

Jessie looked at me, her eyes unreadable. "Caleb knows the same things I do." She started pulling clothes out of her suitcase, landing on jean shorts and a pink tank top. "I'm just worried about him. No offense, but it can't be too healthy for him to be living with you, single, and watching you with a boyfriend."

I scoffed. "Mason's totally fine, he likes Liam."

She gave me a pointed look. "Really?"

I thought about it. "Well, maybe not likes, but he doesn't hate him or anything. Besides, he was asked on a date. By Grocery Store Girl."

Jessie giggled. "Grocery Store Girl?"

"A girl hit on him at the grocery store and asked him out, don't give him too much credit."

"Wow, she's got balls." Jessie whistled.

As if he heard we were talking about him, Mason knocked on the door, saying, "Jessie, Em, either of you want breakfast? I'm making some for the guys."

Jessie spoke up first. "Um, yes, please. I'm paying for the full hotel service here."

I raised my eyebrows. "Oh, you're paying?"

She tossed my wallet at me from my dresser with a wink. "With my presence, but first, let's find some coffee."

***

Down the street, I brought Jessie to Beans, my favorite coffee shop. I convinced her to try a lavender latte, and I ordered my classic iced white mocha. As we were waiting for our coffees, the bell at the door rang, and I turned to see that out of all the cafes in LA, my boyfriend happened to walk into this one.

Liam caught my eye immediately, and he gave a small smile.

"Jessie," I said, nudging her with my elbow.