Chapter 6-Past

The day was scorching hot. It was only mid-May, but the sun was beating down on the football field, causing my navy blue graduation gown to stick to my thighs, the folding chair beneath me already sweaty. I looked up, shielding my eyes with my hand, and saw rows upon rows of families and friends sitting in the bleachers.

It felt surreal to be graduating high school. It seemed like I had only just started, an awkward freshman with a colorful lunchbox and the daily retainer I had to wear for a year. Now, four years later, I was almost ready to go to college. Almost.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I craned my neck to look at Jessie. We were seated in alphabetical order, but because the rows of chairs were so long, Jessie somehow ended up practically right behind me, albeit a few seats over.

I probably should've been listening to our principal talk, but I couldn't bring myself to pay attention. Instead, I kept looking up at the crowd, trying to see through the blazing sun. Trying to see who was there watching us on one of the most important days of our lives up until this point.

Jessie noticed my eyes and squeezed my shoulders, leaning forward so her head was near my arm. "He didn't come," she whispered, and when I looked back at her, her eyes were sad. I didn't have to ask who she meant. I didn't think Mason would come—it had only been a month since the breakup—but it didn't hurt any less to know that I was right. At least I could stop straining my eyes from looking into the sun, trying to find someone who wouldn't be there. Someone who hadn't bothered to show up.

No, I wasn't surprised that Mason hadn't come to see me. But Jessie was his little sister, his only sister. "He's your brother, though. He didn't want to come to your graduation?" Wendy Bowman gave me a dirty look from my right. I gave her an apologetic shrug, but couldn't imagine what Principal Ruthers was saying that was so interesting. It wasn't as if he knew us; he rarely spoke to us students anyway. Our dean, Mrs. Earheart, was much more social.

Jessie rolled her eyes. "He told me there was a chance he wouldn't be here, but I'll bitch him out later for it, don't worry. I'm definitely pissed."

I shrugged, not knowing what else to say, and turned my head forward to avoid another glare from Wendy. Principal Ruthers was droning on about our futures, and I decided to keep drowning out his nasally voice; it's not like I knew what I wanted to do with my life anyway. I knew photography wouldn't be enough to fully support me; my parents always said it was a hobby, not a career, and that I should find something more stable. Whatever that meant.

After my breakup with Mason, I decided I was going to go to USC after all. I mean, there was nothing left for me back home anyway, and Jessie and my mom both convinced me that California would be a fresh start. I could meet new people and new boys and attempt to forget about the one who broke my heart.

Our valedictorian, Cynthia Prentis, was speaking about how our high school was a loving community—I wasn't sure if I totally agreed—when I spaced out yet again. Besides having gone to graduations in the past, I never understood how boring they could be, especially with sweat dripping uncomfortably down my body, until I was experiencing my own.

The sun was still bright, but a few clouds drifted over, and I no longer had to squint. I looked up for a split second and my heart stopped. I didn't know if it was because I had just been thinking about him, if it was some sort of sign or something, but I saw him. He didn't come with his family but there, in the stands, was Mason. He was wearing the blue button-up I had gotten him this past Christmas, the one I said made his eyes look even more brown, if that was possible.

He was looking down, his gaze on the program in his hands, his brows furrowed. I wondered what name he was looking for. Suddenly, as if he could sense me staring, he raised his head and our eyes met. Blush crept along his cheekbones, but he didn't look away. He gave a slight wave, his eyebrows raised. I smiled, unable to hide my joy that Mason was here, and finally tore my eyes away, actually managing to pay attention to the stage for once. Maybe things would be alright after all.

When my name was called, I somehow successfully walked across the grass in my wedges without stumbling. I received my diploma, shook the hands of my principal, dean, and the rest of the high school board, and almost skipped back to my seat, a newfound energy instilled in me. Mason was here. Beneath the energy, though, was dread. I hadn't seen him since the breakup; we'd done a phenomenally well job of avoiding each other, and I didn't know what to say.

After we were officially pronounced as graduated, the entirety of my class threw up their caps, holding onto their tassels for safe keeping so they didn't lose them. Then, everyone dispersed in the lines they came in until we were all standing right outside the gates of the football field, waiting to be let back in to find our families. Amidst the chaos, I lost sight of Jessie, and it wasn't until I noticed her tall frame in the sea of students, stumbling over strewn hats, her graduation gown already off and hanging over her arm, that we reunited.

Together we went to look for our families, who had sat near each other. I noticed my dad towering over the crowd by the emptying bleachers. How I got to be 5'2" with his 6'4" genes was a mystery. His arm was around my mom and they were talking to Jessie's parents. Caleb stood next to them, his brown hair windswept and his smile boyish, two bouquets of various multicolored flowers in his hands. When he saw us, his grin grew wider, and he waved the hand that wasn't holding the bouquets. Jessie ran ahead to give him a hug while I looked around, trying to find the boy with dark hair, brown eyes, blue shirt. He had to have been around somewhere, I saw him after all. I couldn't have imagined it, right?

But Mason was nowhere to be found.