The auditions

The sound of an orchestra tunes up. The ornate house lights dim, voices hushed. The music starts. The orchestra is loud and dramatic. A backstage lever is pulled, a sandbag drops from the rafter. "Places, everyone." The owner said. A stage light turns on and points towards the stage. A monkey stands in the wings and pulls tightly on a rope. The curtain opens, revealing a stage set resembling an enchanted wood. Nana Noodleman is in a stunning purple dress and a tiara waiting to go on stage. Stage hands adjust the train of her gown. Nana's shoulders rise and fall as she takes a last breath before stepping out. As Nana raises her face into the spotlight she sings Golden Slumbers by the Beatles.

Once there was a way to get back homeward
Sleep little darling, do not cry
And I will sing a lullaby...

Buster Moon's father is propping him on his lap. "This was it. The moment it all began. The moment an ordinary little guy fell in love with theater. Everything about it. The lights, the way the scenery moved, even the smell. He was only six years old, but his plans to become the first koala bear in space were suddenly toast." Buster's father delights in his son's response to the show.

Time Skip

Buster is about to cut a ribbon in the theatre foyer. His father stands proudly next to him and a picture is taken, freezing the action in a photo. "Some folks may have said he grew up to be the greatest showman the city has ever seen. Some called him a visionary. A maverick." The photo hangs on a wall amongst posters for theatre productions. "Sure some folks said he was as crazy as he was stubborn, but I say wonder and magic don't come easy, pal. And oh, there would never be any doubt. At the base of this wall of photos Buster sat in a chair facing his posters. He spins around. "The name Buster Moon would go down in entertainment history. And I should know, because I am Buster..."

Suddenly the door knocks. "Moon! Open this door!" Someone shouted. Buster is startled as if waking from a dream. The secretary, Miss Crawly, a spectacularly doddery old lizard with one glass eye, along with a (F/a) enters through a connecting office door. "Good morning, Mr. Moon." Miss Crawly greeted. "Hey dad." (Y/n) said. "(Y/n), Miss Crawly. What, uh... What's going on?" He asked. "You got a lot of animals waiting to see you." (Y/n) replied. "I do?" He looks out the window. "Holy moly, I really do." A group of angry animals are waiting and pacing in the hall outside his office. Knocking and shouting continues throughout. "Yeah, it's the stage crew from your last show. They say that their paychecks bounced." Miss Crawly said. "Tell 'em I'll call up the bank and make sure they're paid toute suite." Buster whispers to Miss Crawly. "Oh, I got Judith from the bank holding on line two right now, sir." She points towards a red light flashing on Buster's telephone. "Um, actually, I'm going to have to call her back." Buster grabs a briefcase and dashes across the room. "Oh. What should I tell her this time?" She asked. Buster moves a large old poster to reveal a small hole in the wall. "Tell her Buster Moon is out to lunch." He replied. "Meet you there, (Y/n)."

Buster crawls across the narrow planks that crisscross very high above the stage, the stuff of vertigo. "Moon! Open this door! Come on, Moon! I know you're in there!" Buckets half-filled with rainwater are beneath holes in the roof, line his path. Buster steps onto a large wooden crescent moon prop. Buster releases a tethered rope. A counterweight rises and the moon drops with Buster riding it like an elevator. The crescent moon carries Buster down from the rafters and stops on the stage which is looking old and shabby.

Buster exits the theatre present day: a little worse for wear and squeezed between two larger, more modern buildings. The angry animals shout his name as Buster hops on a bicycle and cycles off down the street. "Moon! Open this door!" He goes down the hill at top speed. He speeds down the street, nearly hitting a garbage truck, and goes in between a couple taking a picture. Buster swerves, avoiding cars. A rhino cop directing traffic with a shrill whistle. A pig rides a scooter over a canal bridge under which a whale surfaces momentarily. "Hey, watch it!" Salmon wearing neckties leap up water-filled steps Buster bikes down the same steps. At the end of an alleyway a beautiful voice is singing acapella: The Way I Feel Inside by The Zombies.