Chapter Fourteen

Blake

My jet waits outside its private hangar at LAX, the pale blue sky behind it. The sun has yet to rise, but evidence of its impending arrival blankets the busy tarmac. I reach behind me and into the vehicle, taking Lucy's hand to assist her. She accepts the offer, a bright smile on her face.

After Julian made his dramatic appearance—I did say he would eventually show—on the beach yesterday, the country club was a flurry of activity

After Julian made his dramatic appearance—I did say he would eventually show—on the beach yesterday, the country club was a flurry of activity. Police officers descended, casing the yacht and nearby areas for signs of foul play. They took reports and checked the cameras, but found nothing to raise suspicion. After speaking with Julian's irate parents and an hysterical Natalie, they left.

Guests continued to loiter in communal areas, gossiping about the groom's shocking earthly departure. It was quite morose, so we decided to vacate the premises. Besides, we were already dressed up. It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good suit.

My parents, Lucy, and I shook off the bad news and headed to Venice Beach to enjoy the beautiful day. The locals and tourists stared at our group on the boardwalk, no doubt wondering why we were wearing black tie. Some of them glanced around, as if they expected a film crew to be in tow.

We ate at a cantina, our toes in the warm sand as we stuffed our mouths with margaritas and nachos

We ate at a cantina, our toes in the warm sand as we stuffed our mouths with margaritas and nachos. We perused the shops, purchasing unnecessary knickknacks and tacky accessories. Mason bought some underwear with writing on the back that said 'Assquatch.' My mom had to outdo him, opting for a pair that said 'Caution: Slippery When Wet.'

I gagged over a nearby trash can while Lucy cackled.

"Khaaan!" Lucy now screeches.

I roll my eyes, guiding her onto the plane with my hand at the small of her back. "My apologies, Captain Kirk."

The captain laughs congenially. "It's good to see you again, Lucy."

Once inside, she turns, walking backward into the jet's cabin. "'To boldly go where no man has gone before...'"

"She must've gotten into the catnip," I explain, tossing our carry-ons into the overhead bin as the stewardess stifles her laughter.

Kirk salutes Lucy, playing along. "'We're human, and maybe that's the word that best explains us.'"