Chapter 4: Shadows unveiled

"In the pursuit of unraveling mysteries, someone inevitably loses something – a piece of their innocence, a shard of trust, or perhaps, a fragment of their soul."

.....................................................................................................................................

The moon hung low over Mayhill shore, as sea waves crashed and started to show their violent nature, casting a silvery glow over the town and once a quiet down became haunted. As I closed my shop, its old door creaked making me shiver. Everything is shut down. Not a sound was heard except for those violent waves.

The night felt heavy. A chill lingered in the air, and I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off.

A heaviness hung in the air. Laying down in bed, the moonlight felt pretty, serene, and lonely like me. I fell asleep watching it, dripping sound of water woke me up.

Picking my phone I checked time. "It's 3, o'clock. An evil hour" why does it feel .....not good.

A distant voice came, it was coming from the kitchen again.

"Serena"

Serena

Serena ...

It's chilling, raspy that voice but it felt familiar like him- Mark...the room transformed as Fogg is getting thick and thick. An otherworldly force tightened its grasp around me.

"helllllpppppp meeeeeeeee...... pleaaaseee...."

"Stuckkkkkk.........stuckkkkkk....."

The words echoed, it's making my head hurt like I can't breathe. I felt paralyzed by an unseen force.

And suddenly it's gone, couching grab a glass of water and gulp it down. That is something evil that is not him he is dead. But now she knows that her husband's soul is trapped. Because once a wizard's soul is trapped by something evil only their other half can listen to their pleas.

The next morning, the gloom persisted, casting shadows over Mayhill Shore. Serena, her eyes reflecting the turmoil within, opened the bookshop.

But she can't seem to remove his voice from her mind which is suffering from pain as it seems.

She checked that book and held it close to her chest. She felt a sensation that it was calling for her. Something dark but powerful. Maybe now she craves it. Want to know what happens to her husband. But she knows that strange magical object contains more than what it seems.

But she can not wait any longer, if she wants to save his husband's soul from such a place then needs to do this. before she turns the page of the manuscript, the doorbell jingles. 

"Hello," chimed a young woman draped in a navy blue top and a flowing floral white skirt, umbrella in hand despite the dry weather. I sat up, caught off guard, and offered a warm smile. "Hello, how may I help you?"

Her gaze remained fixated on a particular book, and with a deliberate pause, she finally looked up and said, "I noticed the help wanted sign outside. Are you still looking for an assistant?"

"Oh, yes. Let's chat about it. Would you like some coffee?" I suggested, realizing the need for an extra pair of hands in the shop. "No, thank you. It's fine," she declined, but her eyes kept drifting toward the table where the book rested. "So, tell me about yourself. Have you worked anywhere else before?"

"My name is Millie, and I used to be a waitress in another town. I recently moved here and was in search of a job," she explained. Millie seemed to be in her late teens or early twenties, and her attire hinted at a touch of old-fashioned style. Hearing about her waitressing experience, I figured she might be a good fit for helping with packing and organizing books, tasks I had been handling on my own.

"Great, welcome aboard. When can you start?" I inquired with a polite smile, sensing her enthusiasm. "Would tomorrow be suitable?" she asked eagerly. "Absolutely," I replied, sealing the deal.

...........................................................................................................................................................

thank you shares are appreciated.