chapter one

WILLOW

Running across campus wearing just a sweater and jeans with only two hours of sleep on a cold day was not on my bingo card this year. I had everything planned- wake up at six, have breakfast with my best friend, get to class fifteen minutes early but my alarm had other plans.
Today's my first day of my second year at one of the most beautiful Universities in the world. I'm one of the few people in the world with a scholarship at UBC, with a major on music.
I had planned a light morning. I need at least eight hours of sleep to pay attention in class, but my alarm didn't go off. My alarm this morning was a high pitched voice screaming James, what the fuck are you doing here?! and my eyes opened so fast, taking me away from my beautiful dream- then, I had a head full of baby pink hair on my face and a hand trying to pull me out of bed while screaming You're late! You're late! You're late! and that's how I woke up to the beautiful sound of my only best friends, Maya Evans. I should thank her, if I'm being honest because I was late- I am late, hence why I'm running across campus with a lot of people staring at me like I'm insane.
Honestly, I might as well be. I put on a simple white sweater, the first jeans I found-that I'm pretty sure it was on the laundry basket- I brushed my hair with my own hands, not even caring of using a comb and five minutes later I was rushing across the dorms to make it in time.

I'm not gonna make it in time, class started five minutes ago but I can't be more late than I already am. Last year was okay. I aced it all my classes, I was never late- okay, just twice. I was a good student and I wanted- no, I needed to do the same this year but my biggest mistake was going out last night. Maya convinced me to go out to celebrate our last day of summer break and the start of a new year at school. The plan was stay up until midnight but a lot of shots later, we realized that midnight had become 3:30am.

I make it to my classroom ten minutes later with a heavy breathing and I swear I'm sweating. I hate being late. I slip into a seat near the back. It's a two hour class, I'm here with two hours of sleep and I don't have caffeine. University is hard, adulthood is hard; however said it wasn't, they were lying.
I try to catch my breath and I scan the room for the professor, noticing they're not here yet. My heart is pounding in my chest, I can hear it in my own ears- at least they're not here yet. It's okay. I'm okay.

It seems I'm the only one being late- the chair next to me groans just after I take a seat, and a girl sits on it. She curses beneath her breath, dropping her bag on the floor with a loud thump and she brushes back messy red hair with her hands. She notices me in the same situation as her and smiles at me with sympathy.

"Rough morning?" my voice comes out in a whisper even though the entire class is loud and chaotic. Everyone is catching up with friends or making friends- enjoying the little free time we have until the professor gets here.

Brown eyes turn back to me, lighting up and she shrugs. "You could say that." she says, searching for her phone. "What about you?"

My eyebrows lifted. "Oh, big time. I think I woke up like twenty minutes ago."

The girl chuckles, showing off two small dimples in her cheeks. "That's not my story." she shakes her head. "I just didn't wanna be here."

I tilt my head, "Why?"

She lowers her voice after she groans. "My dad is the professor and the I don't want to be in the music industry speech hasn't quite gotten through him yet."
Then don't, I want to say. I can't imagine living through my parent's dreams. Lucky for me-not actually- my mom doesn't even care about me and my dad is not in the picture. "What about you?"