chapter seven

SUMMER

My entire body gives up as soon as Madame Daisy turns off the music after six and a half hours of intense training. My ass hits the floor and I lean my back against the white wall, feeling like I'm about to throw up. My body feels on fire and I do my best to ignore it. I'm the last one to leave the studio- Madame lets everyone go early, except me because she believes in me and apparently- I can do more. I probably can, but dancing seven days a week, six to eight hours per day without even a break it's exhausting. You might think I'd be used to this by now, given I've been doing this since I was a toddler but nope, my entire body feels like it's on fire.

My gaze follows Madame Daisy as she unties her blonde hair, soft curls falling down her back after she brushes it with her hands. She's wearing yoga pants and a tank top, like she always is. I admire her, really.
She's in her mid thirties and looks like someone my age. Daisy Silvers goes to the gym every morning, two hours a day to keep that figure. I know that because she makes me follow the same routine she does, but as I'm getting my career, I go to the gym after my classes.

"Tired?" her voice echoes in the empty and quiet studio.

I shake my head. "I'm fine." I lie. I'm trying really hard to tell my heart to calm down, it feels like it's about to burst out of my chest.

Madame Daisy chuckles, locking her hazel eyes on me. "I'm really proud of you, Summer. You have real talent- you're going to take over the world, you know that, right?"
I don't know if I want that, I want to say but instead I nod and she keeps going. "Dancing is your life. This is your life. I'm only doing all of this because of you. I want to see you at the top of the world just like I was. You deserve that. You're going to be a mini-me." she kneels in front of me and her lips curve into a creepy smile.
"Lock the door when you leave, okay? And try to stop eating so many carbs, you have a costume to fit in, you're getting fat." she wrinkles her nose, looking down at my body and I feel my cheeks heating up.

She leaves me completely alone in the dance studio and I look at the floor-to-ceiling mirrors, checking my figure. Do I look fat? Have I put on weight? I don't think so. I shouldn't have. I don't even remember the last time I ate real food.
I stand up, placing my bag over my shoulder and taking a sip of my water bottle as I keep staring at the mirror. I look nice- I know I'm beautiful and I'm perfect, in some way but somehow Madame Daisy's words make an impact in my brain distorting my own view. I let my hair fall down my back, making it dance with my waves curls. I don't remember the last time I danced with my hair down.
I can't figure it out when was the last time I had fun dancing and didn't feel like I'm dying.

My body burns- I can't feel my feet and as much as I used to love this pain... Right now it feels uncomfortable. The clock on my smartwatch says it's six thirty pm, I've been here since noon after my three classes.

I make my way to the park across the street after closing the studio. Madame gave me my own key just in case I wanted to come and dance, whenever I liked. I hug myself with my winter coat, feeling the breeze freezing up my face and legs. People come and go in front of me and I like that no one is paying attention to me. I sit down under a tree, a little away from all the people and I hug my legs to my chest, feeling kind of small and alone.
I should be making my way to the gym next door instead of stopping to rest. Having time to rest is not in my vocabulary. You can sleep at night! Madame's voice fills my brain making me shake my head to tune it down.

I settle in, crossing my legs on the cold and wet grass but I'm too tired to care. I look up at the sky with a long sigh, the shades of purple and pink are blending together, creating a breathtaking sight for me. I'd take a picture but I don't want to miss it. The sun is hiding behind a cloud, welcoming the night and I don't make an attempt to leave. I need a little bit of peace in my life and also, it doesn't feel like I can stand up. If I do, I'll fall and that's going to be embarrassing.
I open my bag, pulling out a book and a protein bar and I put it between my teeth. I try not to moan at the flavor in my mouth but it's almost impossible. This is my first meal in more than twenty four hours, if someone's listening they can mind their own business.
I swallow down the first bite and I immediately grab my water bottle, it's a force of habit at this point.