Pig cowboys

They arrived on the outskirts of a little ski town nestled in the mountains. The sign said WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT, NEW MEXICO. The air was cold and thin.

The roofs of the cabins were heaped with snow, and dirty mounds of it were piled up on the sides of the streets. Tall pine trees loomed over the valley, casting pitch-black shadows, though the morning was sunny.

They stopped in the middle of town. You could pretty much see everything from there: a school, a bunch of tourist stores and cafes, some ski cabins, and a grocery store.

"Great," Thalia said, looking around. "No bus station. No taxis. No car rental. No way out."

"There's a coffee shop!" said Grover.

"Yes," Zoe said. "Coffee is good."

"And pastries," Lilia perked up.

"And wax paper." Grover said dreamily.

Thalia sighed. "Fine. How about you three go get us some food. Percy, Bianca, and I will check in the grocery store. Maybe they can give us directions."

They agreed to meet back in front of the grocery store in fifteen minutes. Bianca looked a little uncomfortable going with them, but she did.

They walked towards the coffee shop, the bell on the door rang softly as they entered. A young boy, about fifteen, smiled at them from behind the counter.

"Hey what can I get you guys?" He said his eyes fixed on Lilia. Zoë rolled her eyes.

"Can we got three coffees, three hot chocolates a blueberry muffin and five pain au chocolats please." Grover asked.

The boy smiled politely and made the drinks, placing them on the counter.

"That will be $17 please."

Zoë rummaged through her bag and pulled out a ten dollar bill and a few coins.

"We don't have enough." She hissed turning away from the boy.

"Is there a problem?" The boy asked awkwardly.

Lilia spun around and smiled sweetly, leaning over the counter.

"I am so sorry, we seem to be a bit short. Do you think you could let off." She said twirling her hair round her finger.

The boy went bright red, stuttering slightly.

"Uh you know what $10 is fine." He smiled.

She grinned handing him the bill, grazing her fingers over his as she did. "Thank you so much, you're a life saver." She said.

Zoë scoffed, giving Grover the coffee and taking the pastries.

They walked out the door, and were hit with cold air. She smiled at the boy one more time before turning back towards the Centre of town.

"And you said my talents were useless." She taunted.

"I cannot believe you just did that." A distasteful look crossed Zoe's face.

"I for one won't complain." Grover said sipping his coffee.

Grover handed everyone their drinks and food and they all dug in. This was the first they'd eaten in a while.

"We should do a tracking spell, Grover do you still have some acorns left?" Zoë said.

"Ummm..." Grover mumbled, he was chewing on a pastry, wrapper and all. "I think so, I just need to-"

He froze.

Lilia was about to ask what was wrong when a warm breeze rustled past, as though a gust of springtime had got lost in the middle of winter.