09- getaway car

"You got it?" James whispered to a focused Svetlana who hurriedly attempted to pick the lock from inside an unattended SUV.

The two of them decided the best place to steal a vehicle from was in a deserted place far from their point of origin. The SUV's owner foolishly left the window down which easily allowed Svetlana to slip through and acquire them their getaway car.

"Yep and...done." She announced as she felt the lock release the pressure or being fastened.

"Nice work Sunshine," James praised before he peered at his surroundings and entered the driver's seat. "How's that leg, do we need to cut it off?" He teased while he fumbled with the wires under the steering wheel.

"It's fine, I can barely even feel it, just stings," Svet mumbled as she climbed into the backseats of the car while she chewed on her already mutilated lips.

"That's good at least, don't gotta worry about you bleeding out on me now huh?" He attempted to a joke to which Svetlana only lightly smiled in response.

He was trying to cheer her up and Svetlana knew it. He saw the worry and discomfort on her face despite her best efforts to try and hide it. James didn't want her to have to hide her feelings with him, he'd rather have her blow up than keep them in.

Svet didn't want her father to worry about her. She knew she should act like her normal decently chipper self but she was nowhere close to being in the mood for games. Despite her feelings, she was eternally grateful for her dad to care enough to take notice and try and cheer her up.

She was worried about everything. They had nowhere to go, didn't know anyone in the States, and had no belongings other than a gun, her bunny, her father's weapons, and the very little American currency they were given which is most likely wet due to James's dip in the river.

What were they going to do? How would they get somewhere cold if they didn't know where the cold even was? Svetlana picked two more eyelashes off her eyes and looked out the window while she thought.

They were pulling out of the sketchy alley they had walked down and were now on a road with many cars. What if someone recognized them? She didn't think going on such a busy road was a good idea.

"Where are we going, Papa?" She asked as she turned her attention from the window up to the rearview mirror of the car where she was met with her father's eyes staring into hers.

"Well, first I'm gonna try and get us some food and clothes, so a liquor or convince store would be good if we found one." He replied while he waited for the jam of cars in front of them to pass.

"But Papa people are going to see us and they will call Captain America and we'll get taken away." She expressed her worry.

Jame's eyes softened, they always softened with Svet and her mind seemed to think two steps ahead of everyone else's.

"No one's going to get taken Svet I won't let it happen." He assured her. "I just have to get off the highway and then we'll take the backroads where not many people will see us."

"Alright." Svet agreed.

She still looked unsettled and skittish, as if she was waiting for something to happen. Her arms and legs were tense as she continued to look out the window observing the passersby's in the cars next to them.

At first, James thought her looking out the window was due to her interest in the new world she found herself in. Now he thought it was for another reason, a reason of fear and caution.

"We're okay Lana, HYDRA's not gonna get us they're gone remember."

Lana. four letters, one word, one name. A name he's never used for her before, she's only ever been Svet, Sunshine, or Svetlana, never Lana. The name has been used before, though not by her father. Lana was the name Milo and Zerina called her back in Sokovia.