Chapter 12: Reykjavík

Going on vacation is wonderfully, deliciously relaxing.

School must've taken a greater toll on me than I thought because when I step out of the last class for the year, I feel like I can fly.

Es is exuberant, talking about how she's so glad her mother let her go to Iceland. Apparently she normally doesn't get to do things with her friends. I suppose it's one of the downsides of being a royal.

We're almost done packing. Mikhail's lending us his family's jet for the flight there since it was conveniently parked in Manchester. The flight departs this evening, three hours long, and we should be in Reykjavík in no time.

I finish shoving everything I need for a week's vacation into a single suitcase (reportedly, Diamond is bringing three suitcases—I prefer to travel light, as I can always buy whatever I need there) and change into my airport wear. I pair a comfortable cream tank top with a matching navy knit Brunello Cucinelli sweatpant-and-jacket combination. Es meets me outside. The cold doesn't seem to bother her—she's wearing a blue golf dress with a light sweater over it.

"Happy holidays!" I call to Noelise as we leave.

"Flying private is a leading fossil fuel emitter!" she calls back.

I take it in stride, dragging my luggage behind me and rolling my eyes. Like Noelise is going to be flying economy to wherever her vacation is. Her dad told us during our little lunch that he always flies private.

We crowd into a limo driven by one of Mikhail's family assistants. The only person missing from our little party is Teddy. Everyone's dressed in wintry shades of blue, grey, black, and white. Seung-jun is ridiculous and I tell him as much. He's wearing a floral-print shirt.

"To Iceland? Seriously?"

"Seriously," Seung-jun confirms.

Mikhail's private jet is sleek and luxurious. I settle in next to Es, reclining my plush leather chair so I can sleep comfortably. I'm dead-tired from school and I cannot wait to get to Iceland.

We touch down three hours later, the night horizon dotted with the lights of Reykjavík. We're quickly escorted out of the jet by the same assistant, who has also prepared a second car to take us to the hotel.

Cyra's cousins have essentially given us the entire two top floors of their hotel. The rooms are warm compared to the freezing snowscape outside, with smooth heated parquet flooring and sleek modern furniture. Colourful art deco decorations adorn the rooms, each of which is luxuriously equipped with an en suite bathroom, couches, and all the amenities one would ever need. My room opens out with a breathtaking view of the glassy harbour.

I'm very awake now, going from room to room with Seung-jun to look at the various views that they have. Most of them overlook the dark harbour, but one has a perfect view of the Harpa, a massive modern concert hall. "No fair!" I say, mock-upset. "Who's room is this?"

"Mine," a voice says from behind us.

Jasper leans against the doorway, looking as charming and annoying as ever. He looks like he's about to go sailing with the midnight-blue sweater he's wearing and his grey slacks. Even on vacation, he's dressed like a junior CEO. Diamond and Cahyono stand behind him, peering curiously into his room as well.

"I want a bedroom that can see the Harpa too!" I exclaim overdramatically, feigning tears. Cahyono chokes on his laughter while Diamond starts snickering.

Jasper raises an eyebrow. "If you're that desperate, we could always share."

My mind stutters for a moment, trying to think of a way to respond to that. It's easy to keep my cheeks from going red (my first instinct) since I've had practice at it, but responding is a different manner. Thankfully, my dear Seung-jun saves me from the trouble.