Chapter 25: The Morning After

I wake up to a sliver of light on my face. I blink slowly, awakening gradually. It's dark. It must be early in the morning, judging from the light level. I see the pictures on Jasper's wall.

I sit up, fumbling for my bra and shirt.

"You're awake."

I nearly fall out of the bed, whirling around. Jasper, despite still laying in bed, is clearly awake. His shoulders are bare. Even in the morning, he looks too good to be true. "How long were you awake?" I ask, tugging on my shirt.

Jasper laughs, reaching and pulling on my collar. I fall back onto the bed. "A while."

"You should've gotten up."

"No. I was watching you."

I raise an eyebrow. "Watching me sleep?"

"You're pretty when you're asleep."

"So I'm not pretty when I'm awake?"

He flicks my cheek. "No, you're contrary and deceptive when you're awake."

I pretend I'm hurt, clutching my chest dramatically. It must be six or something. Too early in the morning for dramatics, to some people, but to me, it's never too early in the morning for dramatics. "I'm leaving."

"Don't leave."

"Fine."

"You should take this off again," Jasper says, hooking a finger around my shirt collar. His golden ring presses against my skin briefly, a shock of cold.

"You're impossible."

"Impossibly handsome."

I don't challenge that. It's silent for a minute. I can feel Jasper's eyes on me. I close my eyes briefly. It's so comfortable here that I could get used to this. I don't think that's a good thing. I think that's a very, very bad idea.

"What's your favourite colour?" he asks me, breaking the silence.

"Blue," I say.

"Don't lie to me. The only blue I've ever seen you wear is the Arbourne uniform."

"Just because I don't wear it doesn't mean it's not my favourite colour," I say halfheartedly.

"I think it's red," he says, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Am I right?"

"Yeah. Why do you ask?"

Jasper smiles. "I realised I never asked."

"What's your favourite colour?"

He laughs. "My favourite colour's actually blue."

"Mhm."

I move his hand away from my collar, tracing my fingers along his. I slide the golden ring off, running a fingertip over the engraved seal pattern. "You're getting a real signet ring once you graduate college, aren't you?" I ask, even though I already know that the answer is yes.

"I am."

"Shame," I murmur, sliding the ring around my finger. "This one's so pretty."

"I need a college education," he says wryly.

I prop myself up, leaning on both my arms. "Do you though?"

"Of course I do."

"Why?"

"So I can go work in business and grow our family's assets," he says, a little bit mockingly.

I laugh. "What's the point in that? Why have money if you're just going to work? I think you should enjoy your money a little bit more."