XXXIV

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
The Bog. A noun. A marsh where they
marginalized people of color.
_________________________

It's been a week or so since I told Gilbert about my assault. He's been extra caring and keeping a closer eye on me.

"How is your book so far?" Gilbert asks, keeping his eyes fixed on his books as he studies.

I sigh as I read over Emma. "I can't decide. Emma is quite a character. I like her but it's the characters that surround her that I am not so sure about. Mr. Knightly isn't that charming which is a shame because I can already tell that they will be wed at the end."

"What good is it to read a book if you already know the ending?" He asks.

I glare at him. "It's Jane Austen. No matter how annoying Harriet Smith is, or how aggravating Miss Bates is, I know that in the end I shall understand their importance to the plot."

"I'll pretend like that made sense." He teases before we return to our reading.

We share a moment of silence before Bash marches in. "Morning, Bash." I smile but he just glares at me. I widen my eyes before whispering to Gilbert, "Who pissed in his oatmeal?"

Gilbert lifts his head, a surprised look painted on his face. "Did you just say pissed?" Bash turns to us with a string in his mouth.

"When you two go to school and leave me here whole day with no one to talk to I keep myself busy." He starts to wrap the string around his hand."If you cook and the food ain't have no taste I chew and swallow. I've carried this pain, quiet, into the cold Canadian spring." Oh right. He has a toothache. "You know me, Blythe. I don't like to complain."

I scoff. "The devil is a liar."

He makes his way to the door and ties the string to the handle. "So when I say lesser men would've cracked by now..."

"Then?" Gilbert asks, annoyance laced in his voice.

"Exactly." Bash stands up straight. "I'm ready. Close the door."

Gilbert shakes his head. "Uh, no."

"You're right." Bash starts. "Give it a good slam. I only wanna do this once."

"This is a very bad idea. Go see a doctor." Gilbert insists, turning back to his work.

"For a toothache? Just be my friend." I shake my head as they continue to bicker. "The onliest one I have in this vast, lonely country." Gilbert stands from his seat and slams the door shut, yanking Bash's tooth out. He grunts in pain and Gilbert pats his back.

"Ah! Nothing like a little peace and quiet."

Bash groans in pain as Gilbert gathers his things to leave. I shrug. "Don't look at me. You asked for it."

***

"Diana, you're such a dear." Prissy smiles as she admires the sixpence. "Thank you. Now I have everything I'll need for the perfect wedding."

"Prissy, do you have a bridal veil?" Anne asks.

"I'm going to be wearing my mother's." Prissy smiles. "It's a tradition in our family."

"Oh that'll be darling." I smile at the thought of the wedding. Even though it's Mr. Phillips she is marrying, I am happy for her.

"You should keep this sixpence and hand it down to your daughters." Anne suggests.

"What are we buying?" Josie asks as she joins the conversation.

"Diana got a genuine sixpence for Prissy, all the way from London." Ruby informs her.

Diana giggles. "I wrote to my cousin two months ago, as soon as I heard about the engagement. I'm just glad it got here in time."

"Something old, something new." Tillie starts.

Jane adds, "Something borrowed, something blue."

"And a silver sixpence in her shoe." Anne says making us laugh.

"Sounds painful." Josie comments.

"Sounds like a magic spell for happiness to me." Anne says making us snicker.

Cole grunts making me look over my shoulder. "You need to be more careful, bud." Billy teases.

I roll my eyes. "You should quit being a nuisance, bud."

Billy smirks. "Maybe you should mind your own business, Ada," He retorts with a sneer.

"Maybe you should learn some manners," I shoot back, my voice steady. "Leave him alone, or you'll find out how determined my right boot is to make sure justice is served."

Billy glares at me, and for a moment, the air is thick with tension. I stand firm, unwilling to let him intimidate me.

"Is it healing alright?" Gilbert asks Cole as he holds his wrist.

"It's getting there. Thanks." Cole nods before heading into the back.

***

"Begin." Mr. Phillips signals and we begin our testing. "The student who finishes last..." He scurries across the room making us give him a questioning look. "—will wish he had stayed home from school today."

I see the door open and close. "Sebastian!" Gilbert and I say at the same time.

"Good morning." Bash nods, holding something to his face. "Pardon me, I need to have a word with Gilbert, please."

"I'd thank you to stay in the cloakroom." Mr. Phillips demands.

"Sebastian, what are you doing here?" Gilbert stands. "You look terrible."

"You're not welcome here." Billy says, making me scoff. "He tried to kill me at the Christmas Pantomime." Always playing the victim.

"Wish he would have tried harder." I comment making Jane snort beside me.

"If there's any threat in this classroom, it's you, Billy Andrews." Anne says, sticking up for Bash.

"Return to your lesson." Mr. Phillips says. I hear shuffling in the back. I stand from my seat and go for the back. "He only requested, Gilbert, Miss Smith."

"Too bad. We're a two for one special." I retort before walking into the coat room.

"You have a fever, Bash." I find Gilbert holding a hand to Bash's forehead.

"No doctors round here for me. That's what the man said." He groans.

"Unbelievable." Gilbert grumbles.

"You poor thing." I sit beside him.

"I know a doctor in Charlottetown. I'll take you to him right now." Gilbert stands but Bash grabs his arm. "I want to go to the Bog."

"The bog?" I ask in disgust. He gives me an annoyed look. "Not in that way! It's just—"

"Bash, the Bog is just not a place for you." Gilbert tries to assure him. "It's sad and unlawful and full of poverty and..."

"People who resemble me." Bash finishes.

"I'm sorry." Gilbert whispers. "I'll take you. But first, let me bring you to a doctor that I know can help you." He quickly stands to grab his things. "No time to waste."