Chapter 4 P.1: Mates

Note: the chapters will start having more POV's, after the next few chapters - I intend for one POV per chapter but there are a few exceptions

Goal: 4 comments, 5 votes

Celeste's POV

I stared at him in disbelief. "M-mates?" I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before. The way he phrased things, his comforting scent, the tingles I've never felt with anyone before. Looking back, I have always known about mates but I can't recall ever asking or being told about any of the things one might experience with their mate. It didn't seem right. He's an Alpha. I'm just a runt. Why would the Moon Goddess do that to him? I'd also full heartedly believed that I wouldn't get a mate. Or that maybe they had died. I knew it was illogical but. .

"It's okay, little one. There's no need to be scared." I pushed myself off his chest, biting my lip as I bumped my leg on the bed. I glance up at Al- Xavier, confusion and worry probably written clear across my face. He pushes himself up gently, as to not move the bed too much. "You do know what that means, right?" Oh yeah, cause I'm a rogue so I must not know things. Nonetheless, I nod; pain shoots down my spine from the action. Damn, I'm getting really tired of this.

"Of course I do. It's just that. . . I thought I wouldn't have a mate."

His eyebrows scrunch together in confusion. "Why would you think that?" I look away from him, memories flashing through my head. Memories I don't like to hold. Memories I would give anything to forget. "It's okay, if you don't want to talk about it. You need to rest now." I nod slightly, enough to knock some hair in front of my face. He reaches out a hand, I flinch. He sighs, smiling gently at me. "Is it okay if I stay? Just for a bit? I can leave if it makes you more comfortable." I look up at him, his green eyes sparkling with hope. Hesitantly, I brought my hand to his that was resting between us on the bed.

"You can stay." I gently lay myself down, my eyes closing automatically. I felt Al- Xavier. I felt Xavier lay down next to me but I was out before I knew it.

~*~*~*~

Xavier's POV

Celeste. I look at her as she falls asleep on my bed. She's so tiny, even in this state. She seems so fragile, I worry I could break her with a harsh stare. She seems so. . . opposite. . of me. I guess one could say. How could she be my mate? One part of me feels like the Moon Goddess could have done better for her. Someone softer, someone with a less intense life. The other part of me wants to mark her right now, claim her in every single way. I even get flash thoughts of locking her away in this room, where the outside world can't hurt her. She's so beautiful. Even with dirt smudged on her cheek and leaves stuck in her hair. I begin to untangle the visible tangles in her hair, pulling out anything stuck in it. She shifts herself closer to me, nuzzling her head into my hip. I lay myself down, draping my arm over her. She continues to nuzzle herself into me. I wonder if she would do this in an okay mind set. Sure she did it today but today's probably been a lot for her. I still don't know what happened to her before the guys found her. She seemed scared though. Not just of the guys but of me too. I press a gentle kiss to her forehead.

Glancing around the room as best I can in this position, I note for the first time how dark everything seems. The wall facing outside, with a decent balcony and floor to ceiling windows, is a dark mahogany. The accompanying walls are painted in a similar hugh. The dresses, shelves, wall trimming, curtains, and even my bed are all black. The bed takes up a decent portion of the room, the only color in the room being the gray fur blanket laying on it. My connected bathroom and closet were lighter in color but the walls are still painted a shade of brown. At least the balcony windows let lots of light flood the room. They also give the view of the pack's training grounds and you can make out the forest beyond to the right. I like to look over my pack, I'm proud of all of our work; my families and the pack. I don't know her well yet but I don't think she'd enjoy the darkness of the room. I'll get her her own room but I'll also redecorate this one if she wants me to. Hell, I'd redo the entire pack house if she'd like.