Eight

Brunk

It's been two fucking days since I left Calla in that brothel and she still hasn't joined me.

My axe smashes into a tree as I below my anger. I haven't moved from the area where I had collapsed a few days ago, trying to make it easy for Calla to find me.

If she wanted to find me.

Now, after two days of pent up energy, I had to release it. And without Calla's sweet cunt around there was only the unsuspecting forest.

So for the past few hours I've been cutting a path through the dense forest, the singing of my axe a sweet melody on the air. I'd missed wielding it, it had been far too long since I'd been in a battle or even chopped wood. I pause mid swing, my thoughts swirling.

Was that why Calla doesn't come find me? Have I not proven that I can protect her, provide for her? My axe lowers and I look down at my body; it was still battle hard but had it changed since we first started our journey?

I look back at all the fallen trees and a slow grin makes it's way onto my face; if Calla wanted me to prove myself, then I would. Starting with building her a house. Mated females needed a place to call their own, to raise the young and to feel safe.

I nod to myself, yes. I would make her a home worthy of my mate and then she would see that I am worthy of her.

My spirits lifted, I go out of the trees where my rampage began. This would be a good place for a home, I decide. Open spaces to the front, a lush fertile forest to the back. The scent of a lake was on the air so there was water close by and water meant fish and game.

Yes, this was definitely the spot.

Taking my axe, I outline the ground where I want the house to be and then the rooms on the inside. When that's done, I go back to the trees and pick the sturdiest of them, dragging them back to the clearing. Stripping them of their limbs was hard using only my axe, but I enjoy the challenge. Before I know it I'm smiling and humming happily at the growing pile of stripped trees.

Once my pile is large enough to start on the walls, I lay them out, notching them on the ends so that they would fit together. After they were all notched, it was easy quick work to build the walls and by the time the sun was sinking, they were at my shoulders. Some still had gaps between them but it was a good start today.

Feeling pleased, I build a small fire in the middle of the house, eating some of the food I had left. Leaning back against the wall, I feel content for the first time in a while.

As I start to drift off, a twig snaps.

My eyes fly open, hope filling me. "Calla?" I call out.

There's no answer but the stench of death fills my nose as my hand grips my axe. Walking out into the night, I'm greeted by the giant glowing eyes of the Wilderbeast.

Raising my axe, I below a warning. It yells back before charging, dodging my axe as it rakes me across the chest, opening deep gashes.

Falling to the ground in a pool of blood, the beast stands over me, it's mouth drooling as it stalks closer. My vision dims and my breathing slows as the stench of death washes over me.