02. prettiest thief

02,

"THANK YOU LORD for the food in front of us." Priscilla held onto her crucifix necklace as she prayed. "Remind us to be grateful, and provide for those who have less than us. Amen."

"Amen." They all respond, opening their eyes.

The young ladies were all sat around the dining table, picking at their plates and chewing loudly without much words.

"What's gotten into all of you, eh?" Priscilla was the first to speak up. "Emmy, I'm surprised you don't have much to say?"

Emerald's mind was in another world. She was still thinking about the robbery of the century that she was about to commit.

"Emerald, I'm talking to you." Priscilla repeats, even louder.

She looks up, with food in her mouth. "Oh, erm, my bad, Cill."

"Anyway," Priscilla proceeds to wipe her hands with a napkin, "How was your first shift at the Marquis, Carmen?"

Carmen shrugs, sipping her drink before answering. "It was decent. Nearly got fired. It's cos' I was late."

"How on earth do you manage to nearly get fired on your first fucking day?" Stella found it hilarious. "That's a new record."

"Only Carmen Hathaway can manage that." Emerald adds, laughing with her. "A customer must've saw her ugly face and made a formal complaint."

"At least I have a job, you prick." Carmen insults. "Don't forget how you got fired from working at the bakery because you kept eating off the display."

She was nearly choking with laughter but Emerald wasn't amused.

"Not my fault. The wage wasn't even enough to buy half the things there."

"Alright. That's enough." Priscilla demands. "Did any of you's hear about Danny Whizzbang? He trashed the Garrison up then stabbed an Italian fella."

"Poor lad." Carmen sighs. "He's got shell shock, hasn't he?"

"I feel bad for his wife and three boys..." Stella mentions sadly.

Priscilla nods in a sorrowful manner. "No man has come back the same from that war, I'll tell you that. But Danny killing an Italian is only going to cause trouble for the peaky blinders."

"I'm sure the peaky blinders will manage." Emerald grumbles, her hatred for them was growing. "They're used to picking fights with everyone."

"Yeah, and so are you." Stella teases. "Maybe you should join them, see if they're recruiting."

She scoffs loudly. "They're a murderous criminal gang, Stella. Not a scouts club."

"Firstly, I don't think they have a peaky cap in her size. Nothing can fit that big, round, shiny head." Carmen laughs, throwing a piece of bread at her head.

"Hey, stop it." Pricilla demands. "All of you are gonna be the death of me, I swear."

They all continue to laugh and make jokes, poking fun at themselves. At times you'd think they hated each other, and they probably do.

Yet, their love for one another always remained, no matter what.

•••

It was one day before the race. And as predicted, the whole of Birmingham was betting on the magic horse that was bound to win.

Monaghan boy.

Not many people that lived there had luck or fortune, but they had gambled all their dreams into this one race in hopes it would bring back more than what they put down.