03. deal or death

03,

IT WAS A doomed plan from the start

IT WAS A doomed plan from the start. A predictable tragedy. A ticking time bomb. So it was only right that this was how it was going to end. Emerald Hathaway had been tied to a chair like a maniac and stripped of all the money that she had stole.

Well, there goes that dream. And also a bit of her dignity.

"Right. I'm here. Where's the bastard?" Arthur was charging into the betting shop with a furious look on his face.

"Here." John answers, he hadn't taken his eyes off Emerald, he was still staring her down like a hawk.

He didn't trust her. Although she was already tied up, he wouldn't be surprised if she somehow managed to escape and vanish.

"Oh for fuck sake." Arthur takes a deep sigh of relief as soon as he sees Emerald. "It's just some desperate widow."

"I'm not a fucking widow." Emerald had a sour look on her face.

"You made me bring out my favourite revolver for nothing." Arthur complains loudly, tucking away the gun in his inner pocket.

"What? She was bloody stealing, Arthur. We need to teach her a lesson." John demands, infuriated. "You can't just let her go."

"Well she looks pretty harmless to me." Arthur was leaning against the wall, pouring himself a glass of whiskey. "You were probably just bored, weren't you? Thought you could nick a couple shillings, right?"

Emerald doesn't answer, instead, she just glares at him.

"Arthur. She tried to steal over three hundred fucking pounds."

His brother spits out his drink, flabbergasted. "Three hundred what now?!"

"And she's got a mouth on her too." John insults. "We can't let her go or they'll be more of them doing this. Where's Tommy?"

"I'm here."

The gangster always had impeccable timing. Tommy strolls into the betting shop, taking in his surroundings as a cigarette burned in his hand. He was dressed in a raven black jacket, his peaky cap shading his face.

"Tommy, finally." John was ready for this matter to be taken seriously. "This wild bloody animal was caught stealing over three hundred pounds from the bets. She won't give up her name or how she got the code to the safe."

Tommy walks in further, analysing the young girl that was tied to the chair, who was still struggling to break free.

Maybe it should've started to scare Emerald now.