ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝 - 𝕍𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕖𝕕 𝕋𝕣𝕦𝕥𝕙𝕤

The winding streets of Düsseldorf brought me to Burgplatz, a spot I knew well from the few joyful memories I still had.

As I ran my fingers over the dusty timber framing of a traditional house in ruins, I could almost hear the sounds of laughter and chatter from the students who would come to hang out after lessons.

Now, they all stood mute, aged by time and neglect.

My pace slowed as I neared our old home, a small house just like any other in the row of buildings. Dust and decay had taken their toll on the half-timbered walls, muting the colors of dark wood against white plaster.

The only portions of the house that survived the Cataclysm were the living room and kitchen, which were separate from the building's main framework. The rest had toppled over my parents' bodies, killing them without a moment of hesitation.

The familiar scent of the surrounding linden trees, combined with the mustiness of aged wood, stirred a whirlpool of emotions within me.

"It has been a long time."

My unsteady hand reached for the door. The wood, worn and weather-beaten from years of facing the elements, seemed to hesitate under my touch.

Take a breath in. Breathe out.

I gently pushed the door open.

The sight unfolding before my eyes brought me to a standstill. There, in the dim light of the living room, were my sister, Lucas, Mia and Erwin. The last two were bickering about music and their preferences, like they often did. As for Lucas and Zoe, they looked relieved to have found a refuge, but there was also a hint of concern they couldn't hide.

The creaking sound of the door hinges caused their weary faces to turn towards me.

"Aiden!" Zoe cried out, rushing forward with glistening drops of water in her eyes.

The impact of her embrace was a balm to my weary soul. Her warmth, her presence, was all I needed to feel at peace.

I buried my head on her shoulder and let the tears flow freely across my cheeks.

At this moment, all those days of suffering seemed worth it.

"I can't believe it's you," she said, her voice choked with relief.

Lucas clapped me on the shoulder with a grin spread across his face.

"You're a tough one to kill, aren't you?"

"Yeah, somehow."

Mia laughed, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "We were so worried. We thought we lost you."

"Don't be silly, Mia. You know how much of a cockroach I am."

My gaze shifted to Erwin, who stood slightly apart with a sheepish smile on his face.

"Glad to see you made it, Aiden."

His eyes briefly met Zoe's before darting away. The air was thick with unspoken words.

We gathered around the old dining table. The surface was dusty, but still sturdy enough for us to use.

"I never thought I'd see this place again," I said while looking around at the familiar walls.

"Neither did I. But I had to come back, to see if... if you'd made it."

Her hand found mine under the table. It had been a long time since she was this kind to her older brother.

I wish this moment would last fore-

"Uhm uhm."

Erwin cleared his throat, his gaze lingering on Zoe.