2 - Behind Red Velvet Ropes

Alex

Alex, startled by the sudden contact, looked up at Max, her eyes revealing a mixture of surprise and vulnerability. In that fleeting moment, a magnetic field seemed to form between them, drawing Max further into the complexities of her reality.

Wait, what is happening? I can't...

Wait, shit, Steve, is he still following us? Did it look so bad that someone thought to intervene? He hadn't even come up to me yet. How did he know to... No, why did he think he needed to?

And who is this guy, suddenly reaching out to me like he knows me? His touch is surprisingly gentle, but it sends a jolt through me. 

But regardless... I need to stay alert, to keep my guard up. Focus, Alex, focus.

As they moved deeper into the corridor, the surroundings seemed to close in on them. The labyrinthine gallery transformed into a surreal maze, each twist and turn laden with unspoken possibilities. Max's steps, purposeful yet tentative, echoed through the quiet expanse.

Alex trailed closely behind, her senses acutely tuned to the pulsating energy that hung thick in the air. The initial shock of Steve's unexpected presence now stirred a tumultuous mix of emotions within her. Her first instinct was to distance herself from Steve, and in that desperate need to escape, she allowed the mysterious man to guide her away. Despite the urgency, a veil of unease draped over her, unsure of the stranger's intentions. He seemed genuinely concerned, as if perceiving a danger she wasn't fully aware of.

Amidst the chaos of emotions, shame cloaked Alex. She grappled with the unfamiliar territory of accepting help, uncertain of how to confront the compassionate stranger who had intervened on her behalf.

Why did he feel the need to step in? Did I look that helpless? That vulnerable? The mere thought of it makes me cringe. I'm not some damsel in distress, in need of a knight to come to my rescue. I can handle things on my own, always have, always will.

But now, here I am, feeling exposed and vulnerable, all because some stranger decided to poke his nose into my business. It's infuriating, really, that he would presume to know what's best for me without even asking. Who does he think he is?

And yet, beneath the layers of irritation and anger, there's a twinge of something else, something I can't quite put my finger on. Is it gratitude? No, that can't be right. I don't need his help, don't want it either. So why do I feel this strange sense of... connection?

This isn't the time for this, Alex, Focus! Focus on what's important – getting as far away from Steve as possible. I won't let anyone, especially not some well-meaning stranger, get in the way of that.

Alex trailed closely behind, her senses heightened by the pulsating energy that hung in the air. The initial shock of the encounter with Steve now mingled with a whole lot of emotions arising withing Alex. Having her first concern being getting away from Steve, she let the mysterious man lead her away, however she felt uneasy at what was happening. 

Great, just what I need – a knight in shining armor swooping in to rescue the damsel in distress. How cliché. I don't need his help, I didn't ask for it, and I certainly don't want it. But here he is, barging in and making me feel like I can't handle things on my own.

It's frustrating, really, to have someone assume they know what's best for me without even bothering to ask. 

And yet, beneath the irritation and anger, there's a nagging sense of guilt. Shouldn't I be grateful for his kindness? After all, he was just trying to help. But I can't shake this feeling of resentment, this stubborn insistence that I don't need anyone's assistance.