The Cottage and The Creek

I absolutely despise moving.

 My moms told me we were leaving the city, right after my birthday of all dates- justifying themselves by saying I needed to be closer to nature and the fresh air. So, they bought this little cottage in the middle of nowhere where I could "recover" - which was ridiculous because I wasn't even sick.

 The doctors insisted though. And, lets be completely honest here- my moms have been waiting for an excuse to drop city life for years now. So, six months later, here I am- sitting in the back of Elanor's (one of my moms) hatchback, staring numbly out the window at the grassy fields blurring past, the city long behind us. I drummed my pale fingers on the denim backpack in my lap. That bag was my life, it held all my essentials- my current read, my journal, my sketchbook, my iPod for listening to music, a pen and my favorite light brown beanie.

 "Wren!" Elanor called. "You want a snack?"

 She was humming along to the happy, sunshine music spilling from the radio. She was very into "vibes", and always seemed to give off that fun sunny feeling- making it impossible to stay mad at her for anything.

 Nadia (my other mom) was immersed in one of her thick books that seemed to weigh half a ton, absentmindedly twirling a lock of her jet black hair- the same shade as mine. A smile pulled at her lips as she read something funny. She was much softer than Elanor, so much so that you could almost forget she was there- almost. Because even when she barely spoke, she had such a strong presence it was impossible to forget about her. Her hand drifted to rest on Elanor's, where it rested by the stick shift. It was a small gesture, but it was so comfortable it made me wish that one day I could find someone who loved me like that and be just as happy as they are.

 My moms would joke that we had a special girl bond, and until I found my own special someone I would be perfectly happy with that.

 I shook my head, answering Elanor's question, then remembered she couldn't see me because she was driving. "No thanks," I replied, turning my attention back to the window.

 We were currently passing a small bridge over a creek; the water was so clear and fresh looking that I felt a sudden urge to just jump in, clothes and all. "Are we almost there, mom?" I asked, over the radio.

 "Better! We're here," Elanor replied cheerfully, making Nadia pause and look up from her book. "It's just around this bend here..."

 We turned onto a curving dirt road, taking a turn through a thicket of tall, thick trees that kept the blistering heat of the summer sun at bay. The yellow light filtering in through the leaves cast dancing shadows on the ground, making it seem like a scene out of a fairy tale.

 Eventually, we broke through the trees, and I couldn't help but hold my breath a little when I saw the house- and the yard. Tall trees ringed the space, and the grass was a vibrant green, with dew still clinging to every blade. Elanor pulled up into the cute drive, and I stepped excitedly out of the car, taking in the surroundings more clearly. The house itself was chiseled grey stone and beige cement, with cute little red accents on the windows and a bright red, matching door. This whole place looked straight out of a storybook.

 I heard a soft gurgle in the background, and went around the house to investigate. I found a porch, with a carved wooden railing, overlooking the garden. Little steps led from the porch to a stone path that looked so natural I could almost believe the rocks had been there forever. I curiously followed the stones, until I reached a stream- I was willing to bet it was the same one we'd passed earlier. I looked into the clear water, and saw my reflection peering back at me. I noticed my pixie cut was rumpled from hours of pressing my face against the car window, and ran a few fingers to tame the stray hairs.

 My onyx eyes looked darker than usual- and I had bags under them from too many sleepless nights. I have a bit of an overactive imagination, which makes my dreams really vivid... Almost as if they were real- which is impossible, obviously. I also... hallucinated sometimes. But it had stopped years ago, and even then it had been extremely rare.

 I frowned at my paleness. I looked sickly even in my reflection. That's my condition, if you were wondering. My teachers were always worried about me because of how frail I look. I went to see some doctors- who didn't find anything wrong with me, obviously, but still insisted on trying to help me and decided to blame it all on the stress and anxiety of living in the city- which I found comfort in. Not to mention the fact that apparently I'm "extra sensitive" and the air pollution was affecting my health.

 To be honest, I didn't really mind this place too much. I just don't like abrupt changes- like moving. The only reason we hadn't left the city sooner was our budget problem.

 Apparently that problem was solved a few months ago because- here I was. Although I have to admit that this place was a lot better than I expected, fantastic, even. And it wasn't like I had that many friends back home; kids my age (fifteen, by the way) are absolute idiots.

 Besides, I had my moms. They were the most important people to me in the world, and they were all I needed.

 "Wren!" Nadia called. "Come see your room!"

 I smiled a bit to myself and stood up, not bothering to brush the dirt off my jeans. Sure, I had left behind the comforting noise and bustle of the city and moved to literally the middle of nowhere. But so far it didn't seem too bad. I was curious. This was a new environment- but I felt comfortable. And there was so much to explore that it would be a while before I got too bored.

 Maybe I might actually enjoy myself.

 Maybe this wouldn't be too bad at all.

 Maybe I could find a way to make it feel like home.