Secrets of Somnium

We were walking through a huge lagoon. The water was a vivid blue, and stalactites hung our heads in a ceiling so high it just looked black, cold water dripping softly from their tips.

 The sun had begun to set, when we'd finally left the city, and we had been weaving our way through dark, wet, caves for what could have been hours. Or maybe just a handful of minutes.

 Torin's white hair looked almost blue or green, depending on the light. Mine was all wet from the constant water dripping from the roof above, and stuck to my scalp. Rain I could manage. But this freezing inconsistent pitter patter was beginning to get on my nerves.

 Our footsteps splashed and echoed throughout the tunnel, and I wondered how much longer we would be navigating through this labyrinth.

 "Almost there," murmured Koral, as if she'd heard me. Good. This place was pretty but a bit too eery for my taste. There was a rustling noise behind me and I stiffened, brought instantly back to that foggy island of secrets I'd been all too happy to forget about.

 I turned around, but there was nothing there. Nothing but a faint layer of steam hovering just above the water. I shivered, and found myself grabbing Koral's hand, who squeezed mine back in reassurance, seeming to feel my disturbance.

 Of course, Torin just kept walking.

 "We should hurry up," he said. "I want to get out of here before the moon finishes rising."

 "What happens when the moons rises?"

 Koral grinned. "The entire lagoon wakes up. Everything lights up and all the spirits and merfolk come out. It's incredible, but I have to agree with Tor on this one."

 I snorted. "Tor?"

 Koral laughed and Torin's voice carried back to us from up front, saying, "I never agreed to that nickname." To which Koral just laughed harder. It was so contagious I joined in. Soon our cackles were to be heard echoing throughout the caverns, and I pitied anyone else walking through the tunnels at that time.

 A sudden light up ahead caught all our attention, and our laughter slowly died as we all ran towards the exit. I'd never enjoyed grass under my feet as much as I had then. We had emerged into what appeared to be a big forest, which, according to my companions was the closest way to Venix Port.

 The moon hung high above, having just finished the first half of its arc.

 "I would say to keep going, but right now I think it would be safer to make camp for the night."

 Koral raised an eyebrow. "Torin wanting to stop and rest? What have you done with my best friend?"

 "It's late. I'm tired. We can get her home just as quickly in the morning. What's one night?"

 I smiled at that, happy to have an excuse to stay for a bit longer. "Is the forest dangerous at night?" I asked Koral.

 "For mortals, yes... The whole of Somnium is not meant for your kind. It is designed to draw you in and keep you here. It's very subtle, because all the magic happens at night, when it's pull grows tenfold."

 "I— I didn't know."

 Koral shook her head. "It's no issue. Don't worry, we'll be fine for the night. Then we can make sure you get home safely. Although I have to admit, you look meant for this place."

 "Because I look... weird?"

 "No," she laughed. "Because you're not afraid. You've had a few annoyances here and there... but..."

 "But what?" I whispered, finding that I wanted to know too.

 "It's almost as if you're more comfortable in the unknown than in a place where you know you're safe."

_____________

 A fire crackled in the woods where we'd set up camp for the night. I lay on my side, under a soft blanket of pine needles, the fire at my back. I couldn't sleep. Every time I tried I found myself back at the docks hearing those whispering voices. And the scary part was that it didn't frighten me. Not like it should. I was afraid because part of me wanted to go back there.

 A crunch of pine needles behind me, and a low whisper had me quieting my breathing so I could better listen in on their conversation. I needed something to distract myself with. I wasn't usually this nosy... But I'd also never been deprived of so much information.

 "I know what you're thinking and it will not work," came Torin's voice.

 Something shifted in my periphery before I heard Koral's soft reply. "You don't know that."

 "Yes, I do."

 "Torin, this girl could be the solution to everything."

 "This girl, could also be our downfall," a shiver scurried down my back as I realized who they were talking about.

 "She won't be. I know she won't. She's been here twice, knows Somnium is real, and has barely batted an eye since I've met her."

 "You've known her for exactly four hours," pointed out Torin.

 "She's perfect."

 "She has nothing to do with our world."

 "Wren can do it," she insisted. "I know it sounds crazy, but it's our only shot!" Koral hissed.

 "She. Is. Mortal. I can't let her get hurt because of your stupid vendetta against the council."

 A beat of silence passed, and my ears pricked.

 "You didn't mean that," Koral said slowly.

 "Yes, I did. This is going to far—"

 "Is this about Dhalia?" demanded Koral.

 Torin tensed. "This is about a child who has nothing to do with our problems, and yet you want to throw her headfirst into it all, and you know what the consequences could be."

 "So it is about Dhalia."

 "Dhalia is gone."

 "Wren is not Dhalia."

 "You don't think I know that? That is exactly why I am sending her home. I will not put another life at risk for the same stupid reasons."

 "You're her guardian... aren't you?" The question was resigned, solemn, as if she already knew the answer.

 Torin didn't reply.

 I tensed from where I lay. Guardian? What was that supposed to mean?

 Koral persisted. "We made a mistake with Dhalia but—"

 "A mistake I will never make again. Mortals are not meant for this world."

 "Torin—"

 "When will you understand that this is not about Dhalia? Or anything else. I will not put the weight of our problems on some mortal girl's shoulders." Torin's tone was final, and a long period of silence passed before Koral replied.

 "I'm sorry I pried."

 "I'm tired," was Torin's only reply.

 My ears strained, but no one spoke, and soon the sound of rhythmic breathing floated my way, leaving me alone with my spiraling thoughts.

 What was happening to Somnium? Was I the solution? Why was I in danger? Who was this Dhalia?

 Another shiver crawled it's way through me.

 And what had happened to her?