Chapter Three

Cordelia knew she'd made a mistake the moment she opened the front door.

A humid breeze whipped across the courtyard, snatching at her green dress. Her skirt tangled around her legs, and her hat struggled against her hairpins like a bird taking flight. She only stayed upright because she stumbled into a rose trellis-and after battling with the thorns, she'd have rather taken the fall.

Cordelia winced, brushing off her skirt. At least the storm meant fewer people were around to witness the embarrassing ordeal. Only the groundskeeper remained, pruning the hedges.

As if feeling her stare, the groundskeeper paused his work to glare at her. Cordelia tried to smile, but got the sense it more closely resembled a grimace. The groundskeeper's gaze dropped to her satchel, his eyes narrowing. Then he huffed, returning to his plants.

Cordelia breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't blame his skepticism; she'd gone through a phase where she insisted on making paint using natural dyes. He'd never forgiven her for taking a pair of scissors to his prized marigolds.

Another breeze drifted through the courtyard, carrying the scent of damp dirt and wet leaves. A wall of clouds crept behind it, sweeping across the sky like morning fog.

The storm was nearly upon them; Cordelia hoped she wasn't too late.

She hurried along a path between the trees. Her leather satchel thumped against her side, matching the rhythm of her heart. Her breaths came easier once the manor faded from view. Being surrounded by nature wasn't the same as painting, but it felt peaceful nonetheless.

A crooked oak appeared on her left. Cordelia paused, resting her hand against its knobby bark. The tree creaked, swaying towards her as if offering a hug. Cordelia flashed a smile and turned off the trail.

Buttercups and daisies bobbed their silken heads as she brushed past. Cordelia picked a path through the wildflowers to reach her favorite spot. She could hear the water before she saw it; a pale stream threaded through the woods, splashing over colorful rocks. A one-room cottage sat beside it, a cheerful golden glow shining through its glass windows.

"Benny?" she called.

The front door swung open. Her little brother's bright green eyes met hers.

"Lia!" he cried, darting across the clearing. He threw his arms around her.

Cordelia laughed, stumbling back a step. "I can't believe you beat me here," she teased. "Last time it stormed, the rain arrived before you did."

Her little brother shook his head. "That's not true! The first drops had barely started falling." He brushed his brown hair out of his face. "Besides, we still got all the measurements we needed."

Cordelia raised an eyebrow.

"Well, most of the measurements we needed," Benny amended. "I'm sure Grandfather won't mind."

Benny had clearly never been around Grandfather when he was unhappy. The last time Cordelia had seen him upset, their family had gotten snowed into the country manor for a week, and Grandfather hadn't been able to reach his weather equipment. He'd taken to voicing his displeasure through poetry. It'd proven more unpleasant for everyone than the snowstorm.

"Let's plan to visit town on the day he returns from London," Cordelia suggested.

Benny shrugged, skipping ahead to open the cottage door.

Cordelia followed him inside. She'd been ten the first time Grandfather showed her his workspace-Benny's age. Even then, she'd known Grandfather was sharing something special.