Epilogue

The end of the world came sooner than expected. Benny had always known there was a possibility it would happen. He just hadn't expected everything to be so loud.

Mr. Ingram visited in the morning. His stay was shorter than usual, although Benny hardly noticed; he'd been too busy playing with his new spinning top. It'd been on his bedside table when he awoke, alongside a letter tied with a green ribbon. Benny hadn't bothered to read the letter, just like he hadn't bothered to listen to Ophelia and Mr. Ingram's conversation.

That was his first mistake.

His second mistake was that he didn't flee to Grandfather's weather cabin when he had the chance. The moment Mr. Ingram left the estate, everything dissolved into chaos. Ophelia spun around the drawing room with a blissful smile, Mother swooned on the settee, and Father started shouting for their finest bottle of brandy.

Which brought Benny to his current predicament: hiding behind the curtains and praying the end came swiftly. Words like hymeneal and nuptial did little to relieve his worries. Were they facing some plague? The last time Father had become this animated, the manor had been on fire. Just a small one, mind you, in the room attached to Grandfather's suite.

The words incendiary romance floated past, and Benny flinched. He couldn't believe his life had come to this. He was actually hoping the manor had caught on fire again. It felt easier to stomach than the alternative explanation. An explanation that—despite its improbability—seemed more likely by the minute.

He eyed the bottle of brandy as a servant presented it to Father. Perhaps he could sneak a few sips? The last time Benny had drank brandy, he'd been left hiccuping for hours. Father had forbidden him from drinking more until he was older. But this was different. Special circumstances involving the end of the world, and all that.

Benny tucked the spinning top under his arm. He slipped out from behind the curtain, cautiously approaching the refreshment station. Father had already taken a generous pour, sipping the amber liquid while he congratulated Ophelia. But the rest of the brandy had been forgotten in the commotion. Benny grabbed a glass, reaching for the bottle—

"Thank you, my boy," Grandfather said. He plucked the bottle from Benny's hands. "It's not every day your father brings out his expensive brandy." He winked, nodding towards Benny's spinning top. "That's a nice toy. Where did you get it?"

Benny stared at Grandfather. He didn't know which was stranger: Grandfather being out of bed before midday or the clothes he was wearing. A freshly pressed waistcoat covered his muslin shirt. A polished watch dangled from his pocket. And... were those ruffles on his sleeves?

"The spinning top is a recent find," Benny settled on saying. His fingers traced the design painted across the wood. The blue-gray swirls reminded him of storm clouds on a rainy day.

"She'll be happy to know you like it. She spent a quite a bit of time mixing paint, trying to find the perfect shade of blue," Grandfather said. He sighed, swishing the amber liquid around his glass. "I still can't believe she's gone."

Benny frowned. The brandy must be stronger than he thought. "Who are you talking about?"

"Your sister, Cordelia." Grandfather gestured toward the empty chair near the mantle. "We'll miss her dearly, but I know she's in a better place."

"What?" Benny stammered

"She's gone," Grandfather repeated. "Didn't you read her letter?" He paused for a moment, a furrow working across his brow. "Ah. It appears you did not. Perhaps I'm expressing myself poorly. Cordelia is—"

But Benny had already fled the room. He sprinted down the hall, narrowly avoiding a servant with a second bottle of brandy. The woman gawked, but Benny didn't stop. He raced to his private quarters.