Chapter 2: Asleep at Heaven's Gate

Chapter Two

Asleep at Heaven's Gate

    "Dave Harren is getting married?!" Violet squealed loudly, clearly shocked.

    Heart couldn't help but let out a soft chuckle. "I was just as surprised as you are."

    "Yeah, but what's more surprising is that you're going to be planning the wedding! Oh my God, this is huge," she replied. "How are you so calm? You must be freaking out at least a little bit. Come on, am I right?"

    A sigh escaped from Heart's lips. "Trust me, Vi, I'm beyond freaking out. I'm obviously trying to stay calm, but on the inside I don't even know how to think anymore. Like, for starters, what do I even do first? I cannot screw this up--not even a little bit. This is my one and only shot," she admitted, her nerves rising as she started to think about it more. She paced back and forth on the shiny black marble floor.

    They were both in the women's restroom on their lunch break. Believe it or not, it was actually a great spot for relaxing with all the luxury aspects to it. Mr. Gordon had these restrooms decked out, from the complimentary mints to the abundance of female sanitary products neatly displayed on one large shelf for those in need. This was their regular spot to eat their lunches, relax and talk without being in the presence of their other colleagues, who were the subject of their conversations sometimes. Of course, some of their colleagues would walk in and out of the premises, so Heart and Violet would get weird looks; at times they have to keep their voices very low or change the subject quickly to decrease the potential eavesdropping. Violet was sitting on one of the suede brown single chairs that was placed in the corner, eating her granola bar while Heart continued to pace.

    "I mean, okay, first is meeting them-that's only a little scary. Then I have to find out what they want for the wedding-that's not that scary...But wait, what if they don't like me? Oh, crap, what if they don't think I'm the best planner for them. Shit! What-"

    "Heart!" Violet yelled. Heart stopped her pacing and stood in front of her. Violet grabbed her shoulders, which seemed to be weighted down with a hundred pounds of pressure. "Oh my God, you need to take a breath. You're making me exhausted and I've been sitting down. Listen...you can do this," Violet said. "You know you can, you just think you can't because you're looking too far ahead. You just need to start out slowly. Start by meeting with them and finding out what they both want and then the rest is the easy part. It's easy because that's the planning part. The part that you're the best at. Forget that he's an international superstar and that she's marrying the superstar and just pretend that it's any random couple you're planning a wedding for and make it big and beautiful. Plan this wedding, and make it the best damn wedding of their life. Comprendé?" Violet finished.

    Heart couldn't do anything else but nod. Violet always knew the best thing to say in under sixty seconds.

Heart smiled and then let out a breath . "I can do this," she said.

Violet smiled. "You can do this."

***

    "I can't do this," Heart whispered.

It was the next day and both Heart and Violet arrived at their desks. Heart immediately reached for the black book on her desk. The book was filled with many different sections: one with a small stack of blank sheets of paper, a twelve month calendar section, a section full of wedding essentials/checklists, a space for notes, and a section filled with six pieces of paper full of background information on Dave Harren and his fiancé.

"Well, I know what I'm doing today and Vi, I really don't think I can do it." She set her purse down next to the book.

    "What's up?" Violet asked, looking up at her from her desk.