𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐈𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"I think of you with the most excruciating tenderness."

― Vladimir Nabokov

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐅𝐀𝐑 𝐓𝐎𝐎 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 when Maella was summoned to Rhaenyra's solar.

"Try not to keep your mother waiting, Princess," Lady Elinda said as she laced up Maella's dress. Had Rhaenyra found out about her meetings with Alicent? Please no, she thought as she brushed out her hair. I must look my best. She smoothed the cloth of her gown down.

It was Lady Elinda who walked her to Rhaenyra's solar. Maella liked Elinda; she was soft-spoken and kind, not much older than her.

"Did my mother say why she wanted me?" Maella asked, praying for the best.

"I'm afraid not, Princess." Elinda didn't sound particularly fussed. It gave Maella hope.

Hope that was broken the second she entered Rhaenyra's chambers.

"Have a seat," Rhaenyra said. She was already seated in one of the chairs next to the fireplace. Maella took the other one. "I've learned that you've been meeting with Queen Alicent for quite some time. Care to explain yourself?" 

Maella's heart raced as she struggled to find the right words. Two months had passed since the secret meetings began, and now they were no longer secret at all.

Maella couldn't even fathom how the truth had come to light. The corridors whispered with the footsteps of those who patrolled the night, yet she always managed to weave through the shadows unnoticed. She had never breathed a word about her meetings with Queen Alicent, and Ser Criston, the trusted knight who escorted her, remained steadfast in his silence. It was probably another guard who had reported to Rhaenyra.

"Maella," Rhaenyra said. Maella ignored her, and she hummed. "I must admit that I've had more interesting conversations with Syrax."

"As if you've ever talked to Syrax," Maella grumbled. She shifted restlessly in her chair, and summoned the courage to look at her mother's face: her hair, silver, gleamed like a pearl in the candlelight. ". . . I didn't want to keep it a secret, I swear."

"But you did."

". . . Yes."

Rhaenyra frowned. "I must admit my uneasiness with you spending so much time with her." She paused, biting back a sigh. "Especially without my knowledge."

"Why?"

"I understand your frustration, but there are things that you are not yet ready to know. The Queen and I have a . . . complicated history."