iv

𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒, 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 when the Hogwarts Express pulled into Hogsmeade Station. The only difference this year was that it wasn't pouring down rain like it had been the last two years.

Dorothea walked slowly behind the crowd of students as they made their way to the self-pulling carriages that would bring them up to the school. There was only one carriage left by the time she reached them, and to her disappointment, it looked like she'd be sharing with a few other kids.

It was just her luck that the three people she was hoping not to be stuck with were among them.

"Hi, guys," Neville Longbottom greeted the Golden Trio as he walked up beside Hermione. He held a plant in his right arm, which Dorothea recognized from her Herbology textbook as Mimbulus mimbletonia.

"Hey, Neville," Harry, Ron, and Hermione said in unison.

Neville turned when he heard soft footsteps approaching behind him. "Hi, Dorothea."

Dorothea only stared at him blankly.

"What is it?" Harry asked. The other four turned to see what he was looking at, but nothing was there.

"What's what?" Ron asked, confused.

"That. Pulling the carriage."

Dorothea's brows furrowed. There was nothing pulling the carriage. The only thing she could see was a girl with long blonde hair – Luna Lovegood. She was a Ravenclaw in Dorothea's year.

Luna was reading an upside-down magazine. Dorothea wondered how she was able to read the words when they weren't rightside up.

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry." Hermione frowned. "It's pulling itself, like always."

Dorothea noticed Neville staring in the same direction Harry was – at the same thing Harry was? She wasn't quite sure. She'd read every single book of magical creatures she could find, and never once did she read anything about invisible creatures that only certain people could see.

"You're not going mad," a soft, dreamy voice spoke. Dorothea glanced up at the carriage and saw Luna Lovegood peering down from her magazine. "I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am.

The five kids sat down in the carriage. Dorothea sat down next to Luna, and the blonde smiled at her.

"You're pretty," the blonde said, her voice light. Dorothea felt her cheeks get hot. She's never been referred to as 'pretty' before. She was used to being called 'odd', 'peculiar', and 'klutz'.

Pansy Parkinson liked to call her mutt since she was the daughter of a pureblood and a Muggle-born.

"Everyone, this is Loony Love–" Hermione caught herself and paused for a moment. Dorothea felt the slightest bit of sympathy for Luna. She often got called Torpid Thea for the lack of emotion she showed. "Luna Lovegood," Hermione corrected. She glanced around awkwardly for a moment before her eyes landed on the necklace around Luna's neck. "What an interesting necklace."

"It's a charm, actually," Luna said as Dorothea glanced at the butterbeer cork on her necklace. "Keeps away the Nargles."

Dorothea's brows furrowed. She's never heard of Nargles in any of her magical creature books either.

"Hungry," Luna hummed softly. She turned to Dorothea, her blue-gray eyes meeting the Hufflepuff girl's mocha ones. "I hope there's pudding."

The carriage began to move down the path towards the castle.

"What's a Nargle?" Ron asked.

"No idea," Hermione whispered.

"You're Dorothea Tonks, aren't you?" Luna asked, smiling at the petite brunette when she nodded. "Yes...You're a girl of few words. I don't blame you. You don't have to talk if you don't want to."