Ministry Visit

Author's Note: ANOTHER double chapter drop?! Yes, yes it is. I'm going to be traveling the next few days and not sure how much I'll be able to update until Monday, so I thought I'd put out some extra chapters for you guys before I go <3 you're the best!

**********

"And really well done tonight, everyone," I say, beaming around the room full of students. "You've all been working hard the past few weeks and it shows."

"Truly," James chimes in. "The Minister will have no choice but to be impressed tomorrow."

Angela and Asha Chang exchange excited glances and my heart clenches way up in my throat. Tomorrow.

I turn to where we shoved all the desks out of the way at the beginning of the lesson. "Professor Dumbledore? Anything you'd like to say?"

Professor Dumbledore scans the room from where he perches atop one of the desks. Whenever his gaze passes over someone, they straighten up, stand a little more alert. Even Sirius, ultimate victim of 'I'm too cool for any of this', tucks his wand away and gives Dumbledore his full attention.

I bite my lip as I wait for his assessment. Tonight's the first – and only – time Professor Dumbledore will sit in on a Defense Association meeting, and I worry what judgment he's about to pass. True, we have been working hard, and we've gotten through most of the list of defensive spells Professor Dumbledore had given me. Officially, we've only been meeting once a week, but James and I have both kept busy holding impromptu practice sessions throughout the last month and I doubt there was a single person here that only came to the Thursday night sessions. Even Jones Hawthorn the Slytherin made time for an extra practice session or two, usually in tow with Severus, who attended nearly all of mine.

Dumbledore's expression lightens with a pleased smile once he's swept through the whole room. "I quite agree with Miss Evans and Mr. Potter," he says. "You are a formidable group of students, and the Ministry is lucky to be meeting you."

I let out a quiet sigh of relief and hear James do the same. I catch his eye and almost laugh, but instead it turns into this weird moment where neither of us know what to do with the unexpected eye contact so I just smile a little painfully and he whips his attention back to Dumbledore, who's now detailing the plan for tomorrow.

"And now, off you go," he says when he's finished up, and claps his hands. "I look forward to tomorrow morning."

Everyone breaks up, chattering excitedly. Marlene and Alice flock to me but before we can whisk out the door, Dumbledore speaks again.

"Mr. Potter? Miss Evans? A word?"

"Should we wait?" Alice asks.

I shake my head. "I'll see you up in the dormitory."

It's a familiar routine, hanging back with James and watching our fellow students leave without us. He must be thinking the same thing, because while Carol shuffles out the door with one last reluctant glance at him, James looks at me deliberately for the first time all evening. He drops his gaze quickly.

I clear my throat. "It always seems to be the two of us, doesn't it?" I say.

He doesn't look up, just rubs his head. "I guess."

I swallow. "I only meant –" I start but get cut off by Professor Dumbledore, who approached us as the room emptied.

"You two have done well," he says.

"Thank you, sir," I say, giving him my full attention. Merlin knows I don't know how to interact with James lately and I'll take any distraction I can get. "Do you really feel we're ready for tomorrow?"