Chapter 10

"You're finally back," Princess Luna declared as she caught sight of the Commander in the stables tending to his horse.

He did it whenever he wanted to escape reality. He and Luna used to go on secret trips to the forest when they both escaped their duties. The Commander thought she was oblivious to him, but in fact she knew absolutely everything about him. It was her duty to know everything about everyone and also her advantage. Maybe she didn't notice him in the way he wanted, but she did.

"Disappointed that I came back in one piece, princess?" he gave her a questioning look.

"I expected the shadows to at least bite off your hand, but... My disappointment definitely falls on their heads," replied the princess.

"You are mischievous, princess," The Commander said with a smile on his lips. "Surely you wouldn't wish such a terrible fate on anyone." at least, that's what he believed.

"There are a few people I wish worse for." she daydreamed a little at the thought. "If you never order me around again..." she trailed back to herself and him.

"I was just trying to keep you safe," said the Commander.

Princess Luna laughed to herself. "I think I'm definitely the last person in this castle who needs protection. Somehow everyone here forgets that I can't die," she remarked.

"All this only happened because we were unable to protect you."

The Commander kept blaming himself for what happened. He took it as his biggest failure. It was his sacred duty as guard's commander to keep the king and princess safe, and he failed. He failed every night as Luna died over and over again. If only he could somehow turn it back...

"You can't even protect yourselves from the power of the Shadow Lord any more than you would like to protect me? And we still don't know anything about him," said the princess. "Which brings me to the question, did you find out anything during your time in the shadow village?"

"Almost," replied the Commander.

Princess Luna gave him a questioning look, so he told her the rest of the story.

"A woman who could have told us something important died before that information reached us. Apparently, the Shadow Lord was arguing with someone. When she wanted to tell us his or her name, she died. Either we're late, or the warlock had a hand in it.''

"It probably doesn't matter anymore," said the princess.

"However, we know one thing," the Commander said. "He has enemies. If we find them, they can help us. Help you."