Chapter 20

The solution proposed by the Council of Lords was out of the question, and there was no other. At least, no one could think of any other. The king fell into deep despair. He closed in on himself. No one saw him for days. He gave up. He totally gave up.

None of the courtiers had seen or heard of the king. He hardly left his chambers. He was just a body without a soul. Somewhere away in mind. He was slowly losing his sanity. Thought he was seeing the ghost of his dead wife. He talked to her. The barrier between illusion and reality has dissolved for him.

Until one day, the court doctor announced that the king had fallen ill. He didn't say what kind of illness he was suffering from, only that he got sick. Of course, this worried the people in court. It did not bode well. And they didn't know that the illness meant was mental illness. He lost his mind.

Luna wanted to visit her father, but the doctor forbade her. With what's going on, they could blame the princess, and that's why they didn't let her near him. They blamed her anyway. After all, she was to blame for everything.

One night, before her curse summoned her, she managed to slip into his chambers. She sat down on the bed next to him. He slept. Worries were written on his face. She took his hand in hers so he knew she was with him even in his nightmares.

The king briefly opened his eyes. He looked at her as if she were a ghost.

"Samira." a weak voice escaped his lips.

"No father," Luna told him. "I am your daughter. Luna. Remember? Your Luna fallen from the heavens."

"Samira." he didn't recognize her. He saw her mother's face in her.

"Yes." she decided not to destroy his illusions. "I'm here. With you."

"What have I done, Samira? How could I have allowed our kingdom to be destroyed? I should have raised our daughter better. I was afraid I would screw something up and my fear ruined everything. She is too proud. She will never bow down to anyone. I should have known better."

His voice failed. Pain reflected in his eyes. She felt it in the grip of his palm.

"Don't worry. The pain will be over soon. You'll wake up in blooming meadows bathed in sunlight."

In the morning the mourning bells rang. They announced a great tragedy. The kingdom lost its king.

The king is dead; long live the Queen!