CHAPTER FOUR

ISABELLE

I had been so sleep deprived that I hadn't even noticed what was on our wall opposite our bed. "Umm what is that?" I sat up on my elbows and stared at the tv.

He flashed a grin. "Maybe I brought myself a present, well for both of us so we could watch tv during the late-night feeds."

I'll let him have this one, he deserved it. "Oh really? Or is it so you can lay in here with us and still not miss out on the footy games?" I grinned.

He laughed. "Early Christmas present."

"Merry Christmas to you." I shook my head at him and laid back in the bed. "We still haven't been shopping. We don't have anything under the tree." I was so organised usually. "I don't know if I'm going to be up to doing much this year."

"I doubt it. We could just stay here?"

"Really?"

"You have just had a baby; we're not leaving the house for a while." He said as I curled back against his side. "Try get some rest. He'll be awake again soon."

But I couldn't sleep. I was laying here wide-awake thinking about what had happened earlier and what he discussed. I was sad that he felt the way he did. He wanted to take care of everyone else, and he did such a great job at that, but he needed to take care of him too.

I wasn't going to deny that I was worried about what the discussion would mean for us. I thought we were on the same page, but maybe the guilt of what she had turned into was eating at him? maybe he felt like he needed to step in and help her? Get her back on track.

Sitting up on the edge of the bed, I just sat here staring at Noah who slept. He was so peaceful and innocent to this world that I didn't want to put him anywhere that could harm him. I didn't trust her around him, and I didn't want her to be near him. I couldn't make that demand though, could I? Ash raised Jenna, maybe he was going to tell me he wanted her to come back and that we needed to do the right thing.

Ash didn't want to talk about her before we went to sleep, it would be a lengthy conversation and it made sense, but now that was all I was thinking about. I couldn't stop thinking about it all.

That thought had crossed my mind earlier, before I had Noah. Then we he was born, there was an instant protectiveness that surged through me.

I took a drink of water, then laid back down and rolled over. Noah would wake soon again. I wrapped my arms around Ash's waist and snuggled in close to him. I couldn't lose him.

Ash was nudging me awake, I wasn't sure of the time, but it was after midnight. I sat up sleepily, and realised he had changed him, and he was ready for his feed. "I'm awake." I said, yawning as I unclipped my bra and moved the feeding pillow under my arm. "I didn't hear him crying."

"He barely made a sound; I jumped up as soon as he started to fuss." Ash said, helping him down.

I smiled, looking up at him. "How did I get so lucky?" I asked. He was in his boxer shorts, his tanned torso and chest hair on show. I really did get lucky.

"I didn't want to wake you, but I can't help him with the boobs." He smiled sleepily. "Once it was you and I up all night for other reasons, now it's for him."

Did I remember those nights. "I think you're exaggerating." I teased.

"Just wait until I can jog your memory." He smirked, getting back into bed. "oh god does this mean I'll have to start wearing a rubber?"

I laughed. "No, allergic to latex remember." I pointed out. "I'll talk to the doctor about that. I'm in no rush though. It's pretty sore still."

"Your mouth-"