Fight to The Death

Distance was shorter in the Labyrinth. Still, by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square, it felt like they'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico.

They climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds.

Percy led the way into an alley, where he could get a nice echo. Then he whistled as loud as he could, five times.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by five of his friends.

Lilia watched as a cream coloured Pegasus, Honey, made her way over to her and neighed happily. Lilia spent a lot of time in the stables and had become quite attached to Honey.

"Hi, girl," Lilia stroked the horses neck. "How are you?" Honey neighed in reply, Lilia didn't understand her but Percy was busy talking horse to black jack.

"Well," Rachel said, "I guess this is it."

Percy nodded uncomfortably. He looked toward Lilia who was giving him a look that said, 'she can't come to camp.'

"Thanks, Rachel," Percy said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"I wouldn't have missed it. I mean, except for almost dying, and Pan..." Her voice faltered.

"He said something about your father," Lilia spoke up, it might have been a rude question but the ADHD made it hard for her to restrain herself .
"What did he mean?"

Rachel twisted the strap on her backpack. "My dad.. My dad's job. He's kind of a famous businessman."

"You mean.....you're rich?"

"Well, yeah."

"So that's how you got the chauffeur to help us? You just said your dad's name and—"

"Yes," Rachel cut him off. "Percy...my dad's a land developer. He flies all over the world, looking for tracts of undeveloped land." She took a shaky breath. "The wild. He he buys it up. I hate it, but he plows it down and builds ugly subdivisions and shopping centers. And now that I've seen Pan...Pan's death"

"Hey, you can't blame yourself for that."

"You don't know the worst of it. I—I don't like to talk about my family. I didn't want you to know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"No," Percy said. "It's cool. Look, Rachel, you did awesome. You led us through the maze. You were so brave. That's the only thing I'm going to judge you on. I don't care what your dad does."

Rachel looked at him gratefully. "Well... if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again..you could call me or something."

"Uh, yeah. Sure."

She knit her eyebrows.

"I mean...I'd like that," he said.

"My number's not in the book," she said.

"I've got it."