Escape

Inang paced the living room area, her brows meeting and eyes squinting, arms crossed hugging herself. Her ridiculous attire was getting on her nerves. The sun had set, and the temperature was rapidly going down. Several dim lights resembling flickering candles automatically switched on as the sun went down.

After another game, the other girls dispersed from the area, going into the two bedrooms with old-fashioned canopy beds.

"If only Ali is here. She would come up with something useful," she muttered. She suddenly wished her best friend was with her. "Stupid anime cosplay! I could really use a jacket right now!" She stomped her feet. "Grrr! I wish I never came to this horrid world. What did I do to deserve this?"

Her eyes began to sting. She blinked to stop the tears from flowing. One of her Mummy's advice sprang to mind. When feeling troubled, you should repeat a calming word. Think of what makes you at peace and happy.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles."

After a few seconds, she suddenly felt something light and wet touched her face. Startled, she opened her eyes. To her surprise and delight, hundreds of soapy bubbles were floating inside the room. At the same time, she felt tired, as if she had run a marathon.

"Hey. Where did you guys come from?" She asked cheerfully, stretching out both palms to catch some of the bubbles.

"What in the world happened here?" Leboni's baritone voice asked as she came out of one of the bedrooms. "Where did the bubbles come from?"

Inang shrugged. "Beats me. One moment, I was thinking of bubbles, and they suddenly appeared out of nowhere."

"What's going on?" Lindu stuck her head out of the door. She squeaked. "What the bloody hell?"

"Oh, they're so pretty." Tala's quiet voice said. She also came out of the bedroom and jumped up and down, trying to catch more bubbles. Her face softened, and a radiant smile graced her lips.

"Hey. You are also gifted with superpowers," Tae said. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I . . . I didn't know."

"Did you say you were thinking of bubbles before they appeared?" Lindu asked.

"I-I t-think so," Inang stammered. "I'm not sure."

"Well, think something else. Maybe it'll appear too," Tae plodded.

"Urm . . . Well, here goes nothing." Inang shut her eyes and thought of another thing. After a few moments, she opened her eyes to four pairs watching her quizzically. "I-I'm sorry. I dunno how it happened."

Tala sighed as all the bubbles had burst and disappeared.

"How did it actually happen?" Leboni asked.

"Well . . . I was feeling sad, so I tried one of my mother's methods to calm myself. Think of something that makes me happy. And I did just that."

"Maybe you did something else. Did you say it out loud?" Leboni said.

"I think . . . I said bubbles three times."