Randomly Selected

The hot air balloon was a modern version, mechanically powered to pump the hot air. The sole lantern gave them enough light to see each other. As they soared through the clouds, the teens couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and apprehension. There was nothing to see below them as it was already dark. The sky only hinted a pale wavy curtains lime green light.

"Please sit comfortably," Odu Karantika said. She had a small stool to sit on. The others sat crossed legged on the basket floor.

"Where are you taking us, Odu Karantika?" Inang mustered the courage to ask.

The elderly lady turned to them, her eyes squinting as she smiled. "To a safe place where you can learn more about yourself and how to use your powers."

The teens exchanged bewildered glances. "Say what?" Tae whispered. Besides her, Tala sat quietly, hugging Fluffy, her stuffed bunny.

"Anjir! What powers do I have?" Zhanshi questioned, his voice tinged with disbelief. His face broke into a huge grin. "Hey, bro. Did you hear that? We know you suddenly understand their strange language. Perhaps I do have superpowers after all."

Jino was noticeably uncomfortable. He opened his mouth to say something, but couldn't utter it. Odu Karantika beamed at him.

"What is it, young man? Speak up."

"I-I w-want to g-go home. M-my Ma . . ."

"Us too," Leboni said on behalf of her sister and cousins. "Our parents must be so worried about us."

"Not to worry. A messenger will be dispatched as soon as possible to ibform your parents of your whereabout. You are safer with me. You will only endanger them if you return now." To Jino, she said, "The time here is different from where you came from. One day on Earth is equivalent to several months here. You will return to your respective homes sooner than you know it."

"But how much longer?" Inang asked. "What is required of us here?"

"You will know when we get there," Odu Karantika replied cryptically. "It is a small academy for gifted youngsters like yourself. Only those under eighteen are safe from the radar of The Chancellor."

"Who exactly is this Chancellor?" Zhanshi asked.

"He is someone you don't want to do anything with," Leboni replied.

"You will know everything soon. Now is not the time to explain," Odu Karantika said.

"You!" Lindu pointed accusingly  to Voreqe. "You actually captured us to give to the The Chancellor!"

Voreqe shook his hands in defence. "No, silly! You got it all wrong. We work for The Scentinels. We are protecting you from The Rubah."

"I don't believe you," Lindu said.

Odu Karantika sighed without opening her eyes. "The Rubah are indeed his minions. They were trained to recognise and locate people with abilities and he harvests their superpowers for his own gain."

The teens gasped in shock and fear, the gravity of the situation sinking in.

"Why would he do that?" Inang asked, horrified.

"There is a looming threat that only the chosen few among you can help us combat," Odu Karantika announced with a grave expression. "Random teens from around the universe have been teleported here to join us in our fight against the darkness that threatens to engulf all realms."

The teens looked at each other in surprise and anticipation.

"Excuse me. I don't mean to be rude, but whose side are you on, Odu Karantika? Should we trust you? You may be one of them, who wants to use our powers for your own agenda," Leboni said.

"You have no reason to fear me. You girls are aware that The Scentinels are the protectors of this realm," she addressed the Flower Girls. "Unfortunately, some misunderstanding between them and The Chancellor has led to an unfortunate situation."

"What situation?" Inang asked.

"I shall explain everything in more details later. However," Odu Karantika continued, "Not all of you will be deemed worthy for this mission. Only those with exceptional skills and abilities will be selected. To aid in the selection process, a machine had been created to screen the selected person based on their unique talents and strengths."

As the hot air balloon glided through the sky, she began to share snippets of information about the academy they were headed to. It was a hidden sanctuary for young individuals with extraordinary abilities, a place where they could hone their skills and unleash their true potential without the fear of being exploited by power-hungry entities.

The teens listened intently. After a while, she stopped. "Now try to enjoy the journey." She promptly leaned back and closed her eyes.

Inang's mind was filled with questions and doubts. Who were The Scentinels, The Chancellor, The Rubah? What did he want with their powers?Mostt importantly, what abilities lay dormant within them, waiting to be discovered?