one ; love at first sight

Alicia wasn't in a good mood today.

Despite their shocking win at Sectionals, the New Directions were progressively spiraling more and more. All of this appeared to come back to Rachel and Finn's ill-matched relationship. She did her best to keep her distance and avoid the drama, but it was impossible not to eavesdrop on some of it. 

For starters, Kurt Hummel was her closest friend in the New Directions, and the biggest gossip in the entire state. Also, she had a doomed crush on Rachel Berry when the glee club initially banded together, and she would be lying if she said none of that lingered. She didn't think that Finn Hudson was a good match for Rachel. She couldn't believe that Rachel thought he was, either.

"I don't understand why we have to come to the library. It smells like old men in here."

Alicia's lips twitched. She may or may not have lied to Everett about why she desperately needed a ride to Lima's local library. She didn't really need help for this week's glee club assignment, but she'd overheard Rachel telling Artie about her plans to come sheet music hunting this afternoon.

Her brother would never understand her sudden devious streak, and Alicia didn't want to explain. She worried she might sound unhinged if she did. "For sheet music, like I said."

Everett shot her a blank look. "Have you ever heard of the Internet?"

Alicia sighed. "I guess I'll never know the support of a loving sibling. My pain never ends. My suffering is limitless. My--"

His eyes narrowed. "Hey, we're here, aren't we?" 

For that, Alicia had no clever retort. Instead, she pressed her lips into a firm line to disguise her budding smile. Before Everett resumed his usual verbal torture, Alicia did a quick scan of the library. Much to her disdain, she didn't see Rachel anywhere - and it was impossible to miss Rachel Berry if she was in the room. Alicia knew, deep down, they were too late.

Disappointment flooded her. Eyes downcast, she tried to mask her emotions from her brother. Explaining her desperately unrequited crush on a girl who, frankly, probably did not know Alicia existed might crush her. Besides, she'd already lied to get here. She needed to follow through. 

"Do you mind if I split off for awhile? I focus better alone," Alicia said. Her voice was cheery and bright, only slightly too high-pitched.

Everett gave her a scrutinizing look. After a beat, he shrugged, apparently deciding not to care. "A'ight. Just yell if someone tries to kidnap you. I'll explain how annoying you are and they'll let you go immediately."

"My hero," Alicia said flatly. Before Everett could make another increasingly snide comment, Alicia ducked into a random section of sheet music. Hidden within the shelves, she allowed her positive demeanor to deflate. She was genuinely hoping to get a moment with Rachel away from the rest of the glee club. Her disappointment threatened to drown her.

In the midst of her despair, she heard fingers flying across piano keys. Shocked, she poked her head around the endless rows of bookcases, brows furrowing when she discovered the source of the sudden music.

There was a boy sitting alone at a piano bench, head downcast, dark curls falling into his eyes. She recognized the tune, though she couldn't immediately place the song title. Then he began to sing. "Could this be love at first sight, or should I walk by again?"

Curiosity overcoming her, Alicia took several steps closer while still maintaining her anonymity within the books. "You're photogenically dressed, the conversation begins. Oh god, what did I say? Let me start over again."

Her gaze lowered to his slim fingers skipping across the keys, as if this specific piano was a very old friend of his. It was impossible to see his eyes through his bouncing curls, but she noticed he was wearing a well-fitting denim jacket over a black tee. It was such a simple outfit, but something about it caught her eye.