one

Genevieve Hart smiled to herself softly as she smoothed down her sundress, hoping that she would make the impression she was wanting too

Genevieve Hart smiled to herself softly as she smoothed down her sundress, hoping that she would make the impression she was wanting too. She could feel her nerves heighten with every minute that passed. The door to their shared room swung open, revealing Henry with a tight-lipped smile, his gaze flickering to his watch.

"You almost ready babe?"

She took one last glance into the mirror, straightening her mother's necklace that gracefully adorned her chest and nodded. "I really hope he likes me."

Henry chuckled, his hand finding the small of her back before planting a kiss on the crook of her neck, her sweet spot, prompting a deep sigh at the initial contact. "My dad is going to be obsessed with you. Everyone you meet is."

A blush settles upon her freckled cheeks as she fought off a smile. "Well, if he's anything like you I'm sure I'll love him too."

He planted a lingering kiss on her cheek before giving me a tap on her back, his head nodding towards the door. "Let's head out."

———

Genevieve's hands nervously tapped against her bare thigh as the car pulled into the driveway. The house, a shining example of L.A. glamour, stood before them. Henry swiftly parked the car and leaped out. She paused, tucking her hair behind her ears in a deliberate attempt to compose herself.

Meeting a boyfriend's family was not new to her, yet this time there was an undeniable difference. She and Henry had been inseparable since meeting a capstone class three months prior, their bond persisting even after he dropped out. She quickened her pace to match Henry's as he strode toward the looming front door.

His fist curled as he rapped on the intricately carved wood, likely a testament to his father's past in construction before he donned the badge of a police officer a year ago.

Her reverie was broken as the door swung open, revealing a man whose presence seemed to command the space around him--John Nolan, Henry's father. She breath caught in her throat as she took in the sight of the man before her, his rugged handsomeness striking her unexpectedly.