seven

Genevieve stepped into the bustling precinct, her heart drumming against her ribs like a frantic bird trapped in cage

Genevieve stepped into the bustling precinct, her heart drumming against her ribs like a frantic bird trapped in cage. The air buzzed with the low hum of duty and desperation, an orchestration she was now apart of. She smoothed down her blouse, a futile attempt to calm her nerves. Two weeks had passed since she'd closed the door on Henry, since she'd seen Tim or John, and a week since she'd unboxed her future into her new sunlit apartment.

She paused at the entrance to the briefing room, her hand hovering over the doorknob, the cold metal a tangible reminder of the choices that had led her here. With a breath, she pushed the door open.

The orientation was a whirlwind of protocols and procedures, each slide a stepping stone towards understanding her role. As she scribbled notes, the weight of her badge--a simple volunteer's ID--felt like a medal of honor against her chest.

The tech lab was just down the hall, a world away from the structured formality of the briefing room. She hesitated at the threshold, the hum of activity within both an invitation and a challenge. Genevieve's pulse thrummed with anticipation as she stepped into the tech lab, the sanctuary of blinking lights and humming machines. This was it, the nerve center, where the digital heartbeat of the precinct pulsed through cables and screens.

And there he was, Jake, with a grin that was all shark and no swimmer, leaning back in his chair like he owned the place. "You must be the new volunteer," he drawled, eyeing her ID badge. "Genevieve, right? Ready to play with the big boys?"

She squared her shoulders, meeting his gaze with a spark of defiance. "I'm here to learn, not to play," she retorted, her voice steady.

Jake's smirk widened, and he gestured to the array of monitors. "Alright then, let's see what you've got. First lesson: never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Genevieve chuckled despite herself. She followed his lead, peppering with question about their cybersecurity protocols, the intricacies of data recovery, and the dance of digits that was network encryption. Jake's expertise was undeniable, his explanations a blend of technical jargon and layman's terms, punctuated by the occasional off-color joke that made Genevieve's eyes roll.