5. Broken Up

Megan hurried out to lunch, barely able to believe what Greg had said. She'd broken up with Jake? Well, that would definitely explain why he wasn't talking to her. And why none of his friends seemed all that thrilled to see her either. She could only imagine the reason they thought she'd given for it.

As she sat there with her friends, Megan's shock started to turn to anger. Sure, they weren't really dating, but did that matter? He'd broken up with her. They were supposed to at least be friends. She couldn't tell which hurt more – the fact that her pretend-boyfriend had broken up with her, or the fact that she'd let him trick her into thinking that they were even friends in the first place. Besides, she couldn't help but notice that Jake had managed to put all the blame for this right on her shoulders. She hadn't done anything to ruin their relationship, so why did he have to make everyone think it was all her?

Well, she guessed she did lose the bottle. Maybe that was enough of a reason for him to break up with her. She had to admit, if she was in his shoes, she might have done the same thing. She wasn't completely sure she'd really stay with someone who'd let her get kidnapped like that.

Still, did he have to make it all her fault? Why couldn't it have been mutual or something? At least then she wouldn't have Jen's boyfriend so mad at her. Of course, if Megan thought Greg was annoyed with her during Spanish, it was nothing compared to how he felt when she sat down at the same lab table as him during science. At least in Spanish, she'd been near the back of the room – completely out of either his or Jake's line of sight. But here, they got to sit and face each other.

Greg was already at the table when Megan sat down. He completely ignored her, which Megan guessed was better than what he could have done. But when Jake sat down, things only got worse. The two of them started talking quietly together about some soccer game Greg had coming up, and Megan decided that now would be a very good time to pretend to be interested in the reading she hadn't actually done last night.

Jen sat down next to Megan a few minutes later. She took one look around the table before her eyes landed on Megan.

"Well this is going to be great." she mumbled under her breath.

Greg glanced over at her but didn't say anything. That was odd – Jen hadn't said it loud enough for Greg to hear, had she?

The bell rang, and Ms. Harle started talking about how to do chemical equations. But Megan had a hard time paying attention. She found herself glancing up at Jake, trying to figure out what was going on with him. But of course, he was as emotionless as ever. Maybe Jen was right – maybe she really had made a mistake in thinking that he liked her. But if he was just using her because she'd been his master, why did he have to pretend to actually be her friend? Couldn't he have just acted more like a roommate or something? If he'd done that, it would definitely have made this whole thing bother her less at least.

Jen slid a piece of paper casually in front of Megan.

You ok? she'd written.

Megan just nodded numbly. Jen snatched the paper back and wrote something else.

You don't look ok, she'd written, before shoving it back under Megan's nose. Megan sighed before writing down a message of her own.

I'm fine. Except for the fact that I broke up with Jake, she wrote. She still couldn't believe that Greg had really said that.

Yeah – this weekend. Jen looked at her like this was old news.

When? Megan asked, giving Jen a look. Wasn't Jen over Megan's this whole weekend looking for that stupid bottle?