11. A Note for Megan

It had been over a week since Megan had lost that bottle, and she had been hoping that things would get better. But they really didn't. Jake might have been coming to school for the past three days, but he was completely ignoring her. And she did her best to ignore him right back.

After her dreaded Spanish class was finally over, she made her way towards the lockers, ready to change out her books before heading to lunch. At least at lunch Megan could talk to her friends and forget about Jake for a while. Jen met up with her just as Megan was slamming the door shut. She leaned up against the locker next to Megan's, grinning wildly.

Megan sighed to herself. She really wasn't feeling like dealing with Jen's good mood – not when everything in Megan's life seemed to be messing up so bad. She hated to admit it, but this was probably even worse than before she'd made that wish to be popular. At least then, she hadn't had a taste of popularity. And as bad as it had been at times, it was still better than it had been before – and definitely better than it was now. So when Jen showed up at her locker grinning from ear to ear, Megan wasn't exactly in the mood.

"I-have-something-you-should-see." Jen sing-songed. Megan tried not to roll her eyes at her friend.

"Yeah? What?" Megan asked flatly.

Maybe if Jen realized just how uninterested Megan really was, she would just leave Megan alone. Annoyingly enough, Jen's grin somehow managed to grow even wider. Megan fought the urge to scream.

And if Megan thought Jen's grin was annoying, it was nothing compared to that tone of voice. All Megan really wanted to do was just get through her day and try not to pout through all her classes – especially since Jake would be in every single one of them. And there was no way she was going to let him see just how upset she really was by how he was acting.

"I have a note." Jen beamed.

"That's great." Megan shrugged.

Now that Jen had told her, maybe she'd just go away. Besides, if Jen had a note, Megan didn't really see how that was supposed to affect her.

"It's from Jake."

"Why's he giving you notes?"

Megan tried not to be jealous, but she couldn't help it. Jake was supposed to be her fake boyfriend. And if nothing else, she thought he was her actual friend. So why was he sending secret notes to Jen?

"It's for you." Jen rolled her eyes.

"Really?" Megan asked, surprised.

Why would he be writing her notes? After the way he'd been acting the past couple of days, she was pretty sure he didn't want to have anything to do with her anymore. And she didn't seem to be all that popular either, so it wasn't like she had a ton of admirers that it could have actually been from instead. So what was Jen talking about?

"Yeah – you gotta read it." Jen told her. She handed Megan a sheet of paper that at one point had been folded in fourths.

"Did you read this already?" Megan asked. She thought Jen had said it was her note.

"Well, it's actually addressed to me." Jen admitted.

"Yeah, I see that. So how is it my note exactly?"

"Oh, just read it." Jen rolled her eyes.

"Fine." Megan grumbled. She snatched the note out of Jen's hand and began to read.

Dear Jen,

I hope you haven't been too anxious. I apologize for ignoring you in our classes, but I'm currently unable to talk to you. In fact, I'm sorry to say that I must ignore you completely for the time being. If you would like to help me, I would very much appreciate it.